Most Online
    bmoremdwx
    Newest Member
    bmoremdwx
George BM

October Discobs Thread

Only 11 days away :D

P001 is a bonefied western burbs snowstorm 

P005 is also has a impressive look ..a little to far northeast but 264 hours to fine tune for a forum hit:lol:.

Joking aside I'm thinking we get a couple coastals to track the next few weeks.

f276.gif

• Like 5

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Only 11 days away :D

P001 is a bonefied western burbs snowstorm 

P005 is also has a impressive look ..a little to far northeast but 264 hours to fine tune for a forum hit:lol:.

Joking aside I'm thinking we get a couple coastals to track the next few weeks.

Isn't pre-Veterans Day snow a bad omen for winter? ;)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Isn't pre-Veterans Day snow a bad omen for winter? ;)

Heck no...I don't believe in that stuff. I'll take snow ANY time I can get it.  I do think we see first flakes early this year .

• Like 1

Quite the nice day outside today.  Though this is the time of year where people act like a high of 60 is 30 degrees with 25 mph winds from the NW.  Several people on the metro had winter coats and scarves on.  ::blankstare::

• Like 2

I don't want to post this in the fall foliage picture thread, but, on the leaves, given how warm we were and how wet (and acknowledging that much of leaf change is triggered by dwindling of sunlight rather than temp), any ideas if the color season around here will be salvageable? Drove up to Franklin and Marshall in Lancaster ten days ago, and even up that way there was no color on the trees yet.

10 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I don't want to post this in the fall foliage picture thread, but, on the leaves, given how warm we were and how wet (and acknowledging that much of leaf change is triggered by dwindling of sunlight rather than temp), any ideas if the color season around here will be salvageable? Drove up to Franklin and Marshall in Lancaster ten days ago, and even up that way there was no color on the trees yet.

I think we see this year just how much importance temp actually plays.  We are a full 2 weeks behind schedule, if not more.

I worry that the onset of freezing temps and windy fronts will quickly strip the leaves before they've had time to reach peak.  Seems like very poor prospects for color season this year. 

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I think we see this year just how much importance temp actually plays.  We are a full 2 weeks behind schedule, if not more.

I worry that the onset of freezing temps and windy fronts will quickly strip the leaves before they've had time to reach peak.  Seems like very poor prospects for color season this year. 

Yeah. That's my fear too. Wasn't sure if it was an unfounded fear, but at least I am not alone in having those thoughts...

According to PA DNR site, up in Juniata County and surrounding area (northwest of Harrisburg) the trees are near peak. I may take a drive with my wife this weekend if we find some time and go look and see if we can find some fall color.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that because of all the rain that colors will be muted and trees may drop leaves more quickly than usual.

That being said, I'm always astounded at how beautiful fall is in this area regardless of the weather, so I remain optimistic that we will get a good show.  

7 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I read somewhere that because of all the rain that colors will be muted and trees may drop leaves more quickly than usual.

That being said, I'm always astounded at how beautiful fall is in this area regardless of the weather, so I remain optimistic that we will get a good show.  

I love DC fall. When it's actually feeling like fall of course. 

• Like 2

This might just be a perfect mid-October day. Brilliant blue sky, cool but a bit of warmth from the sun. The smell of falling leaves and the crispness in air. Just absolutely perfect.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jakkel138 said:

58/36. A true fall day. Frost advisories for my neck of the woods this early? Summer ended not even a month ago. 

In reality, it was more like a week ago.

• Like 1

Freeze Warnings up along I-81 corridor for tonight... frost advisories for the rest of the LWX CWA including the metro areas and S MD.  Frost advisories call for lows in the mid 30s... freeze warnings call for lows in the lower 30s

Tony Pann was teasing this on Twitter. Plenty cold aloft. If there’s a convective shower, could have some flakes mixed in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Freeze Warnings up along I-81 corridor for tonight... frost advisories for the rest of the LWX CWA including the metro areas and S MD.  Frost advisories call for lows in the mid 30s... freeze warnings call for lows in the lower 30s

My zone says 32.  We shall see.  But this is s nice start to the cold season.  The first part of October spooked me.  

42 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Tony Pann was teasing this on Twitter. Plenty cold aloft. If there’s a convective shower, could have some flakes mixed in.

Going to have to be west of I-81 IMO to see any chance of a flake or two