• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

George BM

October Discobs Thread

The leaves are way behind schedule this year, probably as far behind as I can recall in the 15 years I've lived here.  Very little change at this point, we just had our annual Leaf Peepers Festival this past weekend -- although the festival was well attended, there wasn't much to look at unless you went up above 4k in elevation.  Whereas, last year we were at or past peak when we had the festival.

Good news is that I anticipate the leaf show to be longer lasting this year -- last year it was so dry that the leaves dropped so quickly.  We have been so warm and moist this year, which has delayed the change, but should work out for duration.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jonjon said:

The leaves are way behind schedule this year, probably as far behind as I can recall in the 15 years I've lived here.  Very little change at this point, we just had our annual Leaf Peepers Festival this past weekend -- although the festival was well attended, there wasn't much to look at unless you went up above 4k in elevation.  Whereas, last year we were at or past peak when we had the festival.

Good news is that I anticipate the leaf show to be longer lasting this year -- last year it was so dry that the leaves dropped so quickly.  We have been so warm and moist this year, which has delayed the change, but should work out for duration.

Crap, and I am heading up there this weekend.

3 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Crap, and I am heading up there this weekend.

There will be some decent colors up here this weekend.  Just not peak colors like you would expect at this point.  Dolly Sods should be colorful.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jonjon said:

There will be some decent colors up here this weekend.  Just not peak colors like you would expect at this point.  Dolly Sods should be colorful.

Thanks.

As long as you have Tip Top breakfast stout on tap, I'll be fine.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I've always felt better about a warm October than vice versa.  I guess it's the old rubber band theory, but I'd much rather see a warm pattern now than a cold one.

Me too, just not as warm (and long) as the one being advertised.

2 hours ago, jonjon said:

Yep, there was minimal color 10 days ago in McHenry even at the top of Wisp which is ~3100'.  I'm going back this weekend so should have a bit more. 

6 hours ago, jonjon said:

Landscape still looks to me like July minus the ciicada killer ground wasps - nothing new here, just the same ole thing , even the surf is still 70 to 73 .  

16 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Thanks.

As long as you have Tip Top breakfast stout on tap, I'll be fine.

Yep, its on tap and we're selling it in canned four packs for the first time on a limited basis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

storms struggling south of the Mason-Dixon line, but it's a wedgefest in northwest PA.    Ok, that's going overboard, but there has been at least one confirmed large tornado up there, and new warnings have now been issued in the Willamsport area.

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

It is nice to be near the end of summer, even if it isn't coming soon enough.  The latest 90 degree day on record at DCA is Oct. 11th, and the latest 70+ low is Oct. 13th.   

In jeopardy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

It is nice to be near the end of summer, even if it isn't coming soon enough.  The latest 90 degree day on record at DCA is Oct. 11th, and the latest 70+ low is Oct. 13th.   

until next week

• Like 2