Total Members
    Most Online
    davisinstruments
    Newest Member
    davisinstruments
Bostonseminole

March 12/13/14 Blizzard/Winter Storm/WWA etc

27 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I don't know exactly where you are in relation to the label of Dover there, but there is also a tree blocking our radar beam along those radials, so the power returned is showing something less than it should. 

Chain saws or dynamite both work

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

It actually takes a crap load of work to weed out the bad reports and reports that make the map look stupid. So resources are better used updating the forecast, briefings, and taking in reports. 

It's a treat that BOX even puts the effort in mid storm.

Yeah.  I am actually they do one during an event, unless it is really winding down.

They had my report from this morning in an earlier map.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Band congealing near and just E of ORH....that is impressive looking....BOS finally getting out of the exhaust

Mar13_250pmRadar.gif

Southern end of that looks like it might be dissipating some. Do you think we’ll get clipped by that or at least get back into some steadier snows?

Got the suck-model, come-on blues. NAM, HRR, all the rest, dressed up like tarts in Canal Street display windows-- all for 2 inches of cheap thrills....

Suckered. Never again...

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

6" here so far and the wind has really picked up gusting in the 30 mph range, Must have another band coming.

Yup, you can see the heavier band in York county, east of the death band, trying to link up with heavier band coming on shore SE of Augusta.

Just went out and shovelled the driveway, stuck ruler in several spots shielded from wind and found consistent 8.5-9". Moderate heavy snow falling. Would be nice to get to 18" - that's my criteria for a memorable storm! Snow is relatively light. There is a good inch of melt slush at bottom of pack. Local weather station reading 28 with max gust of 28 out of north...I'd say a pretty consistent 10-15 mph out of north.

1 minute ago, Hailstoned said:

Got the suck-model, come-on blues. NAM, HRR, all the rest, dressed up like tarts in Canal Street display windows-- all for 2 inches of cheap thrills....

Suckered. Never again...

Until the next one...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18z RAP run gave Boston area another 4-6"... that band, though less robust, looks decent and will deliver. Intensity and flakes already improving. 

When all is said and done Boston area will probably end up 11-15"...  nothing to complain about... is great by Sunday's expectations, and only by yesterday's 20"+ runs does it seem like a bust

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hailstoned said:

Suckered. Never again...

I''ll buy an iPhone for 50 bucks on canal street thinking its gonna work before I'll believe those vendor maps again.

26 minutes ago, henry1978 said:

Disagree.  Lots of models had all of eastern rhode island getting hammered.  East PVD at the top of the bay only has 5-6 inches and Narragansett 10 miles to your south really got porked.

I’m at 9” in Bristol. Unusually, we were in a good band for a while. Picking up again too. Confident we can get close to a foot here.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Is that depth?

My depth is 14"...but my snowfall is 15.5"....botton couple of inches were slush and compacted.....now fluff.

that's snowfall, started with a cleared surface

kind of surprised at the snowfall rates considering the visibility isn't that low .. I guess the snow really stacks up when you have ideal snow growth 

prob the best / most consistent snowfall rates since Jan '15 .. its been at constant 2-3" / hr since about 11:45 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Harwich. Sandwich. One of those wiches

I got an updated map, all of Cape Cod, MA, USA, Earth is without power so we don't have any updated totals.

snowmap.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Is that depth?

My depth is 14"...but my snowfall is 15.5"....bottom couple of inches were slush and compacted.....now fluff.

No official measurement in Lowell, but we've got to be closing in on 15"