SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 16/17 Event Obs/Disc

mappy

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still under that band of steadier returns here. I'm still under an inch but getting close.

4 minutes ago, paxpatriot said:

Best little storm of the year for me, measured 3.2 before bed, and we’ve added since. Nice surprise given what the Euro and some other models were painting for us.

Awesome. Greencastle is a nice area and cool little town.

10 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I've gotten an inch here and coming down well. Between the models and the radar before I went to bed, I woke up really surprised.

Reverse bust makes me feel that much better. 

Eta: Another band blowing up in Western HoCo and moving East. Bring it! Maybe we can eek out another another 1/2”. Ehhhh maybe not blowing up, but still decent looking. 

4 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

Prince William County Schools just Closed, also Spotsylvania County schools closed too, lol......it’s snowing lightly just outside Fredericksburg but side roads really aren’t covered

Untreated roads caved long ago, and with steady snow + 24 degree temps and gusty northerly winds, seems a good decision

1 minute ago, Stormpc said:

25/23 flurries, .4...maybe .5. Really hope we get clipped by the banding sw of DC back toward CHO. Trajectory looks good but our precip should be shrinking down from the north soon. Hope I'm wrong. 

Hoping to get into those heavier returns here around Fredericksburg, we will see how it goes....

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Temp really dropping past hour here. Down to 20...breezy. Still a very light snow coming down.  Close to 2". Counting yesterday morning's surprise of .3" puts me at 2.3 " for the 2 events 

11.6" for the winter 

High for the day was definitely in the early morning hours. Temps will fall into the 20s in places where it hasn't already. Going to be a really wintry feeling and looking day.

You know what I love - when the models continue to spit out forecast with less than we already have.

Current in Severna Park - 30.0F, 29 dp, Humidity 88%, 30.35in (1027.9 mb) - moderately heavy snow - can't see the other side of the river which is 1.25 miles away.

Just glanced over the models and I am not so sure we should be giving up on some coastal low impact just yet, especially on the DE/MD/VA shores. We have seen some pretty significant positive changes at 500 mb the last few runs for such short lead time. We are now seeing a strong closed upper level low forming to our west sustaining its integrity until off the coast. We are also seeing the trough it is embedded in moving towards a more neutral look as it runs through the region. Now at this point the trough is still too progressive/positive tilted and the surface low (off the SE coast) is forming to far out that we don't see a capture until well OTS. But if the models can continue with their trends maybe good things can happen. We need to see the trough reach at least a neutral tilt (would prefer a negative tilt though) as it runs through our region. We need to see a continuation of the projected strong upper low, if not stronger. And we need to see the surface low form closer to the coast then now currently projected. In regards to the surface low at this point, we are seeing the largest current pressure drops centered just off the South Carolina coast. But let's see where we stand 6 hours from now in that regards because those charts can be somewhat misleading.

Now we are talking lead times of roughly 24 hours so odds strongly favor nothing coming of this. But let's see what shakes out over the next 12 hours or so. Who knows, maybe we can luck into something a little extra.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived