Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, winterymix said:

This has been consensus for a day or two.  Scrape Miami and then target the southern most SC coast.

Euro and GFS seem to have this locked in now. Still some time to change but the consensus has grown for a major impact from Florida to the Carolinas 

Better run for SE Florida on this 18Z GFS run.  Keep the wind north along the coast and then west as she pulls north.  Any inland track is worse with south wind as the eye passes...  50 mile change east has major (good) implications at least for Florida.  Different story further north as storm has a better chance of staying stronger with eyewall over water....

Good lord this thread is unreadable right now.

If this ERC fully completes, with it moving towards the warmest waters in the Atlantic outside of the Caribbean, I could certainly see it maxing out higher than it currently is/has been for the past day and a half. The storm isn't moving slow enough to really feel the effects of upwelling and until it gains more latitude, shear is minimal at best.

1 minute ago, andyhb said:

Good lord this thread is unreadable right now.

If this ERC fully completes, with it moving towards the warmest waters in the Atlantic outside of the Caribbean, I could certainly see it maxing out higher than it currently is/has been for the past day and a half.

Outer eye-wall appears closed with the inner contracting. Looks about 50% complete and God knows the size and strength after it's complete. 

29 minutes ago, andyhb said:

First images out of Barbuda and it's unsurprisingly bad.

Now this legitimately reminds me of Homestead. :/ (My father was a contractor and moved to Homestead post-Andrew. It looked like that for months/years.)

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Does anyone know of any surge maps for the intracoastal waterway between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale?   I would assume the closer you are to one of the ocean inlets the worse it would be but I'm not sure if there is any precedent to really know 

i can at the least say that during king tides and even just slightly higher than normal tides the water comes up on parts of Las Olas blvd. that are landfill.

also durig Sandy we didnt get any wind but only a storm surge that pushed water up across A1A 

Folks are talking about Irma "scrapping" Miami, when is a scrape not really a scrape with a hurricane this intense?  I look at satellite, radar and modeled paths and see a +\- 50 mile margin of error that is the difference between significant and catastrophic but still really bad either way for those who get "scraped".  Matthew scraped but was less of a rabid beast. 

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Folks are talking about Irma "scrapping" Miami, when is a scrape not really a scrape with a hurricane this intense?  I look at satellite, radar and modeled paths and see a +\- 50 mile margin of error that is the difference between significant and catastrophic but still really bad either way for those who get "scraped".  Matthew scraped but was less of a rabid beast. 

Agree strongly. Even the GFS shows hurricane force winds along the coast...thats not a scrape. 

11 minutes ago, Raine1212 said:

Not sure if this is the place to ask,  we are also in this cone, I know maybes are involved, but could someone direct me to the area I need to be for info for GA. Thanks

Georgia Emergency Management website - http://www.gema.ga.gov/Pages/default.aspx

6 counties in GA are shown under a State of Emergency per the site.

It's the difference between cat 4/5 and cat 1 winds

Archived