Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

recon going in, we will find out soon enough, I don't see why it would drop that dramatically unless it's due to the ERC

ERC's in highly intense systems can markedly drop the winds.  As someone pointed out to me last night because the eye of Irma is bigger it may not weaken it as much as some other cat 5s with smaller eyes but I could definitely see it dropping down to a strong cat 4 if it underwent a 12-18 hour ERC

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Maybe but i'm not sure it is that simple. 

Well if it ends up a scrape, it's going to be so close to Miami and other metro areas that they'll have to assume the worst for planning purposes.  It's not like we'll be 100% confident in a track 10 miles off the coast even less than a day out.  That type of error is a tiny heading difference with a storm running parallel to the coast.

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I would expect winds come down to 160 with the 11pm advisory. You can't maintain 185 forever, not even a super typhoon has ever done that for more then 48 hours with much higher heat content to work with. 

What data or guidance are you following that leads to this conclusion, other than guessing blindly due to ERC?

Speculation is not science 

meso1_13_20170906235124.jpg

Is it just me or does part of the southeastern part of the circulation look to be deteriorating a tad on IR? Assume this might have something to do with it being so close to Puerto Rico as it just started to occur when inflow into the eye/COC started to come off the island.

This is a different monster than Matthew

A- Yes it will make a very close approach to the FL coast with impacts ranging from miles. But this is a bigger storm than Matthew, also will be more intense on its approach to the FL coast. 

B- Storm surge will be a much bigger concern for FL than Matthew

C- We could be talking about a major hurricane making landfall in SC versus the verison of Matthew that LFed in SC as a 85 MPH storm. 

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

ERC's in highly intense systems can markedly drop the winds.  As someone pointed out to me last night because the eye of Irma is bigger it may not weaken it as much as some other cat 5s with smaller eyes but I could definitely see it dropping down to a strong cat 4 if it underwent a 12-18 hour ERC

It's been very efficient in completing ERC's during its entire life, no reason to believe it won't happen again.

2 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Is it just me or does part of the southeastern part of the circulation look to be deteriorating a tad on IR? Assume this might have something to do with it being so close to Puerto Rico as it just started to occur when inflow into the eye/COC started to come off the island.

PR has several areas of mountains over 3500 feet.  El Junque area on northeast side.  I would have to guess that the west winds blowing over PR and then into the eyewall must have some negative affect.  I am amazed Irma looks as good as she does being so close to this landmass.  As she pulls WNW and away over the next several hours the environment should even get better...

6 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

There was light shear earlier affecting it. The shear has since relaxed and the IR appearance of the SE quadrant has improved, even with its close proximity to PR.

3 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Someone posted an animation of that leading up to its brush with PR and you'll see a fascinating phenomena go on as it rolls forward - like a bit of turbulence, as it brushes against the little set of islands just ahead of PR before it rolls north of PR.  Post is here -

IEW and OEW looking more and more concentric every frame on TJUA. I remember a post a few days ago that even LakeEffectKing commented on that showed a model runs simulated radar showing the storm with 2 very concentric eyes where LEK even said it could be a situation where we have a cat 5 inside a cat 2 inside a tropical storm...wondering if that's what's happening now.

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

PR has several areas of mountains over 3500 feet.  El Junque area on northeast side.  I would have to guess that the west winds blowing over PR and then into the eyewall must have some negative affect.  I am amazed Irma looks as good as she does being so close to this landmass.  As she pulls WNW and away over the next several hours the environment should even get better...

Agreed. Probably moving too quick and has too much of a trajectory north and west of the island to have any dramatic impact on the health of the circulation. 

2 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

IEW and OEW looking more and more concentric every frame on TJUA. I remember a post a few days ago that even LakeEffectKing commented on that showed a model runs simulated radar showing the storm with 2 very concentric eyes where LEK even said it could be a situation where we have a cat 5 inside a cat 2 inside a tropical storm...wondering if that's what's happening now.

TWC just confirmed it's a ERC. 

18z GFS was interesting, how Jose was literally 'feeding' Irma with additional moisture once it went inland. 

Such a direct , tropical feed like that could cause Irma to weaken more slowly.  (once inland) The area of QPF was even expanded more outward. 

A lot of interesting things with a hurricane to it's left and another hurricane to it's right.  These 2 canes could cause fringe effects on Irma's strength and intensity , 3+ days from now.   (not fully recognized by models yet either) 

140/145kt SFMR and FL in the SOUTHEAST eye wall. Damn... Can easily toss the 160mph prediction out the window then with those kind of winds still being measured in what is not even the strongest quadrant... Also no sign of a double wind max, still smooth and uniform.

14 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

What data or guidance are you following that leads to this conclusion, other than guessing blindly due to ERC?

Speculation is not science 

ERC is definitly occurring. I would argue at other times it's been below 185. Nhc has been alluding to that all day. Assuming strongest winds aren't sampled. This isn't speculation or a hunch. The inner eye wall is deteriating. 

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

ERC is definitly occurring. I would argue at other times it's been below 185. Nhc has been alluding to that all day. Assuming strongest winds aren't sampled. This isn't speculation or a hunch. The inner eye wall is deteriating. 

Check the last couple frames on radar - IEW looks to be re-strengthening, and the moat is filling in.

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Recon and MIMIC definitely disagrees...

28 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I would expect winds come down to 160 with the 11pm advisory. You can't maintain 185 forever, not even a super typhoon has ever done that for more then 48 hours with much higher heat content to work with. 

We've also never seen ocean temperatures this high.  I don't think anything is off the table right now.

Just now, SN_Lover said:

The entire state of SC has hurricane force winds at 850mb on the GFS. Obviously all of this isn't going to mix down, but if your in a strong band, good luck. 

gfs_mslp_uv850_11L_22.png

And I am in this in GA. Local mets are already saying it is possible for hurricane winds here

Archived