Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

A lot of interesting things with a hurricane to it's left and another hurricane to it's right.  These 2 canes could cause fringe effects on Irma's strength and intensity , 3+ days from now.   (not fully recognized by models yet either) 

You have zero idea what is or isn't "recognized by models." Global models assimilate a mind-boggling amount of data, to include satellite imagery and soundings, including plenty of information about both of the other hurricanes.  Their ability to assimilate and process data vastly exceeds that of any human. 

5 minutes ago, monsoonman1 said:

909.1mb extrapolated from recon, pretty amazing

She'll most likely go sub-900 tomorrow. 

By the time it hits the mainland, Irma's wind fields could be double what they area now.  (in terms of distance, not intensity) 

Posing additional challenges of how far away to issue hurricane / tropical storm watches and warnings.

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

ERC is definitly occurring. I would argue at other times it's been below 185. Nhc has been alluding to that all day. Assuming strongest winds aren't sampled. This isn't speculation or a hunch. The inner eye wall is deteriating. 

Settle down folks.

My colleagues over here in Monterey are some of the foremost experts in the world on TCs, and they have even beens stumped by some of the behavior of both Irma and Harvey (the half eyewall Harvey had at landfall for instance).  Everyone (including NHC) is just making their best guess on what is going on with some of these internal storm processes, based on the available data.  There aren't many historic observations of a hurricane of this scale, that has maintained such a high intensity for so long.  Yes, it looks like there are now concentric eyewalls.  That doesn't necessarily mean the storm is weakening.  It may be a sign of an impending weakening cycle (ERCs usually are), but this storm has surprised us many times.  

147kt (170mph) in northwest eye wall. Definitely not weakening yet. NHC *MIGHT* bring the max winds down a few knots at 11pm advisory pending NE eye wall recon obs, but even then I think their line of thinking will remain the same as it has the last few advisories with max winds not being measured.

1 minute ago, jpeters3 said:

Settle down folks.

My colleagues over here in Monterey are some of the foremost experts in the world on TCs, and they have even beens stumped by some of the behavior of both Irma and Harvey (the half eyewall Harvey had at landfall for instance).  Everyone (including NHC) is just making their best guess on what is going on with some of these internal storm processes, based on the available data.  There aren't many historic observations of a hurricane of this scale, that has maintained such a high intensity for so long.  Yes, it looks like there are now concentric eyewalls.  That doesn't necessarily mean the storm is weakening.  It may be a sign of an impending weakening cycle (ERCs usually are), but this storm has surprised us many times.  

Agreed we are in uncharted waters. I said earlier some of the annular characteristics shown earlier could be at play. As in this is a form of hurricane not seen before that has the ability to maintain intensity despite internal structural changes. This storm will be studied for years to come 

9 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

ERC is definitly occurring. I would argue at other times it's been below 185. Nhc has been alluding to that all day. Assuming strongest winds aren't sampled. This isn't speculation or a hunch. The inner eye wall is deteriating. 

5 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Recon and MIMIC definitely disagrees...

You guys aren't getting my point. It's not about the ERC. 

I'm speaking in regard to assuming its' affect on the storm, even numbering wind speeds it will drop to. It doesn't make any sense. Neither does suggesting NHC is alluding to something weaker than 185, when it's put out advisories all day at that speed. 

Speculation.

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

You guys aren't getting my point. It's not about the ERC. 

I'm speaking in regard to assuming its' affect on the storm, even numbering wind speeds it will drop to. It doesn't make any sense. Neither does suggesting NHC is alluding to something weaker than 185, when it's put out advisories all day at that speed. 

Speculation.

What the hell effects are you talking about then??

3 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

916mb officially.. seems high

I mean drop thingy in the ocean and it sends back the pressure. It's not like they're guessing. Pretty sure those guys know where to drop it. Also:

L. Eye Character: Closed 
M. Eye Shape: Concentric (has an inner and outer eye)
M. Inner Eye Diameter: 18 nautical miles (21 statute miles)
M. Outer Eye Diameter: 42 nautical miles (48 statute miles)

6 minutes ago, jpeters3 said:

Settle down folks.

It wasn't radar beam attenuation that caused Harvey's east eyewall to appear to weaken? 

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

If the eye goes within 50 miles of you, there'll probably be hurricane force winds, but the real damaging winds will be in the core. So a tick or two east might cause the impact for the Bahamas to be worse but eastern FL to be relatively spared. But west that same tick or two means catastrophic damage for eastern FL. 

Well said

2 minutes ago, newshinycd said:

It wasn't radar beam attenuation that caused Harvey's east eyewall to appear to weaken? 

In the most recent scans, the echoes look to be weakening a bit in the eastern eyewall (doesn't look like an attenuation issue).  Too early to tell whether this is a trend or just a momentary fluctuation.  I'd trust the recon obs at this point, which don't show weakening winds or rising pressure.

1 minute ago, jpeters3 said:

In the most recent scans, the echoes look to be weakening a bit in the eastern eyewall (doesn't look like an attenuation issue).  Too early to tell whether this is a trend or just a momentary fluctuation.  I'd trust the recon obs at this point, which don't show weakening winds or rising pressure.

He was asking about Harvey's eastern eye wall "appearing" weaker from CRP. 

On 9/5/2017 at 10:49 AM, hooralph said:

Will be very interesting to see if the Rock survives this. Also hard to see how the airport doesn't wind up under feet and feet of sand. If the harbor takes a lot of damage and the airport is inundated, it could be hard to get on or off the island for a while.

st jean beach.jpg

"De l'Eden Rock, il ne reste que le rocher. Tout a disparu."

5 hours ago, WildFlower said:

Praying for something, anything, any kind of interference to make that nasty girl calm down a bit before she slams us here (south florida) AND/OR further up the coast!!  First time I heard the name Irma I felt a bit anxious.  I was member #660 when easternuswx was around, and I recognize many of you folks from that time.  I lived in Stuart when I joined the old forum and experienced Francis & Jean.  I appreciated you all then and I obviously still do.  A BIGGG thanks to all for your posts and for sharing useful and intelligent information... KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!  

Wildflower,

It's great to see you here. Hopefully, Irma will weaken and/or avoid southern Florida. In the meantime, I hope everyone takes the storm seriously and pays very close attention to the NHC and NWS. 

1 minute ago, TimChgo9 said:

For those of us with less-than-met understanding of hurricanes, what does "ERC" stand for?  And what is it?  I gather that it has something to do with the eye/eye wall

Eyewall replacement cycle.  It's where a new eyewall forms outside and replaces the inner eyewall (IEW). The IEW will deteriorate through the evening as the outer eyewall replaces it.

1 minute ago, TimChgo9 said:

For those of us with less-than-met understanding of hurricanes, what does "ERC" stand for?  And what is it?  I gather that it has something to do with the eye/eye wall

ERC stands for Eyewall Replacement Cycle.  Storm's outer rainbands consolidate into a solid ring of convection that surrounds the inner eyewall.  Eventually subsidence on the inner edge of the outer ring of convection causes the inner eyewall to erode.  Once the inner eyewall has eroded, the outer contracts and becomes the new "inner" eyewall.

Archived