March 13/14th Storm Thread (Storm Mode)

psuhoffman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Where's Bob Chill when you need him?

Watching the terps lose. Lol

NS low hangs on a little longer so midlevels trended warmer. Still a crushing from the cities west with mix risk. Could be noise. Could be a trend with the midlevels. I'm happy with the run. 

Part of the reason with the warmer midlevels is lighter precip early on. If that's wrong then it isn't a trend. Just a function of rates. 

The precip bomb part looks like the euro but further west. It's a pretty sick run. There would def be thundersnow mixed in during the bombing process. 

1 minute ago, high risk said:

It's an amazing run, for sure, but the sfc low is still a little bit further west than I want to see it.    While the GFS verbatim on this run keeps the cities as all snow, it's notorious for failing to capture warm layers working in above 850 mb.

Yea, that track is mix risk even for me. Models can say whatever they want. Past history tells a different story. I don't really care about mixing honestly. It's March and I'm not on a hill or mountain. The height of the storm would be absolutely epic for a lot of people. Quarter mile viz and puking. I want a piece of that. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, that track is mix risk even for me. Models can say whatever they want. Past history tells a different story. I don't really care about mixing honestly. It's March and I'm not on a hill or mountain. The height of the storm would be absolutely epic for a lot of people. Quarter mile viz and puking. I want a piece of that. 

This... whoever ends up just on the western side of the RA-SN line will see just epic conditions... I'll risk a little QPF waste to IP to see that :)

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

It drops all of this in basically 12 hours. That's what's kind of amazing to me. 

3 minutes ago, high risk said:

It's an amazing run, for sure, but the sfc low is still a little bit further west than I want to see it.    While the GFS verbatim on this run keeps the cities as all snow, it's notorious for failing to capture warm layers working in above 850 mb.

Thanks for all of the insights.

I guess the NAM coughed up a hairball. 

Just now, WxUSAF said:

It drops all of this in basically 12 hours. That's what's kind of amazing to me. 

A lot of qpf bombs showing up across guidance. Even the progressive navgem. I'm staying up all night if it looks like this on Monday. I'm not missing a minute of a storm like this. 

Archived