Newest Member
    Toothache
March 13/14th Storm Thread (Storm Mode)

psuhoffman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Then I'm completely lost as to what you're worried about.

Dont mind me. I am on my usual Friday night bender. Carry on.

Just odd to me to see the 500 ULL over the lakes and us getting hammered like that. I guess I need to pay some attention to the surface. Or just not post any more.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I never looked at a snow map. I was looking at 500 and 850 levels. And looking at those levels I have no idea how it ends up with that precip map. But I will take it :)

It just dumps for nine hours straight. Would probably be epic even if we mixed. 

But now I'm discussing a future scenario where the 78hr NAM is relevant, so I'll stop. 

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Lol. Don't mind him, he's always pretty terrible with analysis. Lovable but terrible.  But again, as you said earlier people should know better with the NAM.  Might have to remind them again. 

I will be so happy if the GFS holds serve and the NAM is garbage and you are correct.

Still, the NAM seems to do something naughty with the 500 mb low.  Everyone go chew your fingernails til

GFS is here.

5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Lol. Don't mind him, he's always pretty terrible with analysis. Lovable but terrible.  But again, as you said earlier people should know better with the NAM.  Might have to remind them again. 

lol it's the NAM at 81 hours come on guys.  Honestly I took it as a positive. Consider how over amped it tends to be. Then how much further north it is with the northern stream (way out of line with other guidance)  all that and it still manages some snow into the cities and a rediculous dump just nw of 95. This is almost a worst case scenario and it's not that far from working out even then. To me that shows how good a setup we have. It's hard for even the NAM at range to screw it up. Unfortunately not impossible. It was a slight improvement from 18z. Expect it to fall in line as it gets into range. 

22 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Right now, the NAM seems to be the further NW with everything.  The rest of the globals GFS/UKMET/EURO and their ensembles have been so locked in on the coastal solution that it lends far more credence to them.

It does this all the time. It's not supposed to be used for this. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Or they could just stop running it past 48 hours. 

It actually snifs out things even at range every now and then. In a lot of ways it's like most things.. if people know how to use it right they can use it fairly well. Many just treat it like part of a meal though. 

Totally get the NAM bashing, and it's true that regional models really shouldn't be run out to 84 hours.    But as has been noted in a few posts, the parallel NAM looks much more like the globals with the track of its surface low.    This new version, which goes live later next week, has a lot of improvements (especially in the nest).     I'm not going to b.s. anyone and say that it's going to be consistently good at day 3, but it will be better.     

In this event, I think it's worth noting that the para NAM flips a lot of the area to sleet, despite a favorable sfc track and the 850s seemingly holding.      I think this is an outcome that is sitting in the back of a lot of our minds.

Archived