Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th Storm Thread (Storm Mode)

psuhoffman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Do we get deformed at all or is this just straight WAA snows and it just rolls through like 2/13/14 did?

Just rolls like 2014,  maybe a small second batch with the ULL.  You can see the 700mb low bombs from NW NJ  to Vermont, so the deform would be Allentown to to Lake Champlain.

3 minutes ago, Amped said:

Just rolls like 2014,  maybe a small second batch with the ULL.  You can see the 700mb low bombs from NW NJ  to Vermont, so the deform would be Allentown to to Lake Champlain.

That's sad and explains the lower upside and short period of precip. Deform is the best. You can double your total with the deforms.

If the GFS 18z verified, I think it would drop about 12" in DC and BAL, 15" in PHL and 20-30" in eastern/central PA to eastern NY. 

There is good but not perfect phasing of the two components before 38N and then almost a perfect phasing near Long Island. If the Florida wave managed to pull in the KY-TN low about six hours earlier then you could up the local amounts 50% while not sacrificing anything further north. 

But at this point, I am just theorizing from the model run, the actual storm could end up looking considerably different, and so there's realistically a wide range of outcomes on the table. I agree with those who say it shows few signs of cutting any further west (in terms of warm advection) with that massive super-cold high squashing it. And there's nothing really obvious to say watch out for the GEM outcome, not sure what happened there, probably feedback from the usual 5-10 mb GEM over-deepening of previous (today's) low in Newfoundland. GEM somehow got a hold of extra isobars and they are trying to use them all up in this tax year. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

So the 18z gfs and gefs back off on the ns low going into Ohio and honed into an ideal track that doesn't tuck in too close or over the delmarva and it's worse than 12z. Got it  

I think they looked at the individual members and saw that instead of 5 bad there are 7 or something like that and that's all their seeing. I think having the gfs on the west edge of guidance with the euro east is a good spot to be. Although that's kind of opposite they normal biases. 

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I think a lot of us could be very happy with a 2-13-14 event with the knowledge that it is March and we might go drippy during the day.  It wasn't fully expected it would be that bad during the day in Feb 14.

ugh. but it is march. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I think they looked at the individual members and saw that instead of 5 bad there are 7 or something like that and that's all their seeing. I think having the gfs on the west edge of guidance with the euro east is a good spot to be. Although that's kind of opposite they normal biases. 

Yes, this is correct... but EURO is pretty much exactly what we want to have happen around here

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I like Tasselyer but I disagree that this is a classic miller B. It's a weird hybrid. The low off the se coast already exists and is independent of the NS low well in advance. It's more a marrying of 2 separate systems vs the NS low "giving birth" to the coastal. 

Agreed.. just like this week I learned Feb 5-6 2010 was a Miller B supposedly. I guess it doesn't matter it formed in the Gulf and was heavily STJ. (think it was also probably a hybrid more than one of the other entirely)

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Yes, this is correct... but EURO is pretty much exactly what we want to have happen around here

You could even be fine with a nudge west with the euro track. Thermals got dicy for a time but as the euro went nuts with the bands the temp profile pulled back east. It was snowing all the way to the jersey shore due east of us even. So a compromise between the euro and gfs track might be ok. Euro was quite a bit east of the gfs track it just was a much stronger storm. 

55 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This includes the follow up threats Day 6-9 which jump the mean another 3". That right there is lol for this time of year. 

IMG_0882.thumb.PNG.229ce9c6284dc1e2d241d4eb4bcea01c.PNG

Pretty wild. I think spots like DCA are going to have trouble putting up big numbers but after last winter's one hit wonder it would be something to have places close in on average in March after the horrendous winter we went through. Climate change is fun at least. 

55 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

There was a significant improvement in the mid levels on 18z vs 12z?

I've been bothered by the GFS mid levels for a while now but the 18z looked pretty good. It's still a little wonky compared to our truly most classic of setups but it's also disjointed from the actual vort of interest to the lumbering 500 low that pushes by after. Then again who really cares what the GFS says if we have the Euro. 

13 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Who was saying *that*?

It's in this thread if you click into it (I guess click the time stamp.. can't figure out how to just link it).. Marciano. I trust his judgment -- saw plenty of other refs when I Googled it. I think of it as a Miller A but I do remember some talk of it being a hybrid way back when. Can sort of see that but it did take a fairly classic track across the northern Gulf and then up the coast.  

(this was yesterday morning.. it has evolved a bit since then into more of this hybrid thingy, or I finally decided to stop believing in it since)

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

It's a mauling. 850s stay east of DC and drops 1.6" QPF over the city. 

It's a beautiful and near perfect run, although it's the NAVGEM...so it's probably worthy not giving it much thought until we see similar operational solutions.

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

Pretty wild. I think spots like DCA are going to have trouble putting up big numbers but after last winter's one hit wonder it would be something to have places close in on average in March after the horrendous winter we went through. Climate change is fun at least. 

It's going to depend how the models converge. Typically some version of compromise between the euro and gfs at this range is best. But it typically leans more towards the euro. If that's true this time and they converge 70% towards the euro then I can see DC getting 10" maybe more but DCA will record 2.5 of course.  If the gfs wins out more then it might be more like 6-10 before mixing in DC.  Long ways to go that's just an early guess. 

Archived