Newest Member
    joxey
March med-long range disco thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, frd said:

JB be said this may be an analog for the Tuesday storm.

I could go with that  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_18–20,_1956_nor'easter

250px-March_19%2C_1956_nor%27easter_weather_map.jpg

Not really great for our area if the storm develops like that. Checked the KU book, looks like 4-6 inches in the beltways, maybe. New York got snow-bombed, parts of Long Island with 26 inches. KU book has the maps and details for that storm on p. 358. Page 357 has a pic of Uccinelli as a child in Long Island outside looking really happy in the aftermath of that storm...

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Not really great for our area if the storm develops like that. Checked the KU book, looks like 4-6 inches in the beltways, maybe. New York got snow-bombed, parts of Long Island with 26 inches. KU book has the maps and details for that storm on p. 358. Page 357 has a pic of Uccinelli as a child in Long Island outside looking really happy in the aftermath of that storm...

True,  much higher snow totals North of DC.

That storm delivered an incredible 50 inches to Morgantown I believe .

Snowfall contrast across the area as you said was very high 

3 minutes ago, frd said:

That's 3/58 you're thinking of. 

The funny thing about the 3/56 storm is that one of the paraeducators in my department talks about that storm *every* single March, remembering the event as a girl growing up in NJ. She of course over-remembers it as a 30" storm that shut down schools for more than a week. 

6 minutes ago, frd said:

That was March 1958. March 1956 was, as N Balt Zen said, mainly a 40N storm (though far northern MD did well).

53 minutes ago, mappy said:

That CMC cut-off is lol (this is through Tuesday, so includes anything falling Friday for northern folks)

cmc_snow_acc_washdc_33.png

Could that cutoff follow I-95 more perfectly?  That would be a little revenge for me as I got calls and snow pic texts all day when my sister got a nice hit down in St Mary's back in January.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

Honestly, when he said we got hit with two storms and it was epic, I was expecting a lot more than dark purple on that map. Not that it matters at all being a 192 hr forecast AND the DGEX.

I would hope no one here is seriously looking that model as a means for snowfall output. I think this is a joke of sorts. :P

Just now, osfan24 said:

Honestly, when he said we got hit with two storms and it was epic, I was expecting a lot more than dark purple on that map. Not that it matters at all being a 192 hr forecast AND the DGEX.

After the winter we've had, you don't think 1.5 to 2 feet from Greensboro to Portland, with 18+ inches running right up I-95 qualifies as "epic"? It's the DGEX, so it's just for lulz, but if that doesn't reach the epic bar for you, your bar is set too high my friend.

18 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

So, the 00z Euro and 00z GFS para ops stink.  The 06z GFS op has a good, but very tenuous solution.  And the 00z GGEM is way out in left field regarding the evolution of the storm.

Pretty good synopsis of the current operational model depiction for this event.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived