Newest Member
    joxey
March med-long range disco thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Yeah. Sort of feels like a been there, done that moment. Doesn't it. I guess we never learn. :wacko:

Yea I'm pig headed sometimes. But if there is anyway possible to make it snow through sheer force of will then we're gonna make this happen. The snow gods will reward our devotion. 

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

Beat me to it.  

Yup...much improved for us vs 0z, which was getting there.  Just 75 miles more diggy and it's a beautiful end to this miserable winter. 

Yup... I love this run and I'll take it and run with it, but it looks to me like the redevelopment barely happens in time for us. Any slight delay and it's a 40N storm. So I'd like to see more room for error.

8 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Yup... I love this run and I'll take it and run with it, but it looks to me like the redevelopment barely happens in time for us. Any slight delay and it's a 40N storm. So I'd like to see more room for error.

Hopefully this evolves away from the miller B look on the GFS and Euro. So much suck potential with that.

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Hopefully this evolves away from the miller B look on the GFS and Euro. So much suck potential with that.

Yeah, we definitely don't want that. Compared to the 0z run, this was a big step in the right direction. Let's hope this one digs enough to bury us.

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I dont like the thoughts of a storm pretty much developing right on us. I get this has potential, but as you said that scenario has a lot of bust potential. Id rather see a nice Miller A take over but Im not sure thats how it can play out

So much for having Weatherbell through today. Looks like they have canceled my account a day early. Between them shutting it down 7 days ago when I first stopped the monthly auto renewal and now a day early I am a little irked. Like their Euro output and some other features but their model homepage setup outright sucks. And with me quite often times having major issues earlier in the morning while they are doing maintenance I really don't know if it is worth the aggravation to deal with them next year to just have the better Euro output.

Just now, Fozz said:

Yeah, we definitely don't want that. Compared to the 0z run, this was definitely a step in the right direction.

6z GFS gets it done with the primary low weakening over WV and the coastal developing right over VA beach. Thats tight. Like to see the coastal get going near the outer banks and (for my location) a tad further offshore.

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Then you want the Ukie then.... hour 144 looks like Psu said....ready blow up in 6 to 12 hours.

Yes that is a nice look, as long as the low level temps aren't torchy.

The timing of this event is interesting. The ridge over GL has completely(and rapidly) broken down, but at least there are still some lower heights around the Canadian maritmes leading in, and there is a pretty nice PNA ridge. Kind of looks like an Archambault deal.

16 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

I dont like the thoughts of a storm pretty much developing right on us. I get this has potential, but as you said that scenario has a lot of bust potential. Id rather see a nice Miller A take over but Im not sure thats how it can play out

Your right of course but how often do we get a juiced up miller a out of the gulf bombing up the coast with cold in place?  Once every 3/4 years?  Sometimes we just have to get one of these less then perfect storms to work. They do work out sometimes or else we would average like 5" a year from that 1 dump every 4 years. 

Just now, Fozz said:

I'm a bit skeptical of those ratios, but wow if that happens. Is that Westminster?

If anything, pay attention to the QPF (1.51) even 10:1 that's still 15" 

Yes. Closest Cobb output for me. KMTN (Martin State) would be closer to you, but because they are on the water it wouldn't quite fit for your location. 

23 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Does anyone know when we last had a true Miller A, out of the gulf, ride the coast type of storm? It seems to me like it's been awhile...

Just now, EB89 said:

Just curious where I could find those. I'm looking for KFDK. Thanks. 

KFDK doesn't have a location in Cobb, so you'd have to go to HGR

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfs&site=hgr

hope that helps!

PS. The hours are screwy, if you want to see 06z you have to click the drop down for 00z/12z for some reason. 

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That montygomery county cutoff can happen.  IIRC, Feb '14 "blizzard" yielded 24" in Damascus, but 5" in Takoma Park.  

Yeah I was about to say that the cutoff shown there, while it's highly unlikely the CMC is the correct solution, certainly can happen. The Feb 14 storm was a bit like that. I got about a foot of snow give or take and then melted all day while Westminster got like 2 feet as it continued to snow.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived