Newest Member
    joxey
March med-long range disco thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

If you mean don't get you started about the Red line and its...issues, I hear you!  I have to take that one any time I head into DC.

One banter post here from me.  Blue is the new red.

24 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

PSU is driving the Tuesday Train. Not half bad on the 18z GFS. Trending..

I'll take pole position on this one. This is the first threat all year I actually feel confident enough in to take ownership. But it's march 7th so what am I waiting for.  I'll try to lead us to water. 

1 minute ago, CARDC79 said:

I'll wait to get excited until we are inside of D5 for anything remainder of this winter.  Seeing the Sunday opportunity fizzle since yesterday morning stings.  Lots of stings these last 60 days.  Just really hard to get invested.

D5 or bust.

Agreed.  Not a fan of Miller A.  Everything would have to move NW.  Not even sure if it's Miller A.  Sunday was way better in its virtual prime..I said virtual

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Agreed.  Not a fan of Miller A.  Everything would have to move NW.  Not even sure if it's Miller A.  Sunday was way better in its virtual prime..I said virtual

I loved the Sunday look...Gradient pattern, perfect Baffin Island block, vortices pinwheeling beneath, active jet. sigh.

G-damn weak ass sw!

I still have a little hope :wub:

17 minutes ago, Ji said:

It gave us kelly oubre...we need beal

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lol grunfeld loves projects.  He'd fit in well here in the long term thread.  We just needed a bobby portis especially since we're outside the snow lottery aka Jan/feb. oubre has potential tho so in Ernie we trust.

40 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Dude, bask in this..the GFS is trying. 

Lol. This isn't a new thing. While people were busy mourning the loss of the Sunday storm they somehow missed the pretty darn strong signal across 12z guidance. The storm was on the ggem/U.K./navgem/JMA/ a good deal of support in the gefs and EPS (wish I could post the EPS day 6.5 mean slp and locations) and even the op gfs at 12z took a huge step towards a storm. This was another step yes. 

Sometimes, rightfully so, I get criticized for looking past something but once in a while that can be an advantage.  I look at the whole suite of guidance and all 2 weeks holistically.  And while I did start to doubt my assessment when things started to look good for Sunday a couple days ago, even then when I would roll the h5 loop through the whole period on all the guidance the 14-15th kept popping out as when the trough axis seemed best for a for amplification.  And while we were focused on Sunday I kept seeing enough random op runs and ensemble members spitting out big storms around that date to keep it in my mind.  So last night and today when there was a sudden uptick in guidance hitting that period hard I jumped on because it fits what I sort of expected several days ago looking into this period before details emerged.  

The op euro is troubling and i want to see that get on the train tonight but the op euro has been flipping around a lot Day 6-10 all year so one bad run isn't alarming.  The EPS had support. Both for day 6 and 10. It's a decent window as the blocking fades and the PV relaxes. We know that drill. As for the gfs it's been late to the party lately so it's catching up to the idea the ggem has had for a while and ukmet/navgem/JMA latched into this morning. 

I am pretty confident something's going to amplify during that window. In the end too amplified might end up the bigger problem. Buckle up this might be a bumpy ride. 

I'm on board with wave three. Most models paint a picture of a decent storm. Hopefully Euro shows good signs tonight.

Of course I'm leaving for FL for March madness and spring training Tuesday evening so I have this funny feeling my plans will be changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Tuesday will be the next 16/17 floparooney. 

Maybe but it's there and this is probably it and those of us still tracking might as well take it to the finish line right?  I do think in the end looking at the h5 setup, over amped and rain might become the bigger risk to killing the Tuesday threat then under. I don't see how something doesn't develop in that setup. Weather that something dumps the good on our backyard is a trickier proposition.

24 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I loved the Sunday look...Gradient pattern, perfect Baffin Island block, vortices pinwheeling beneath, active jet. sigh.

G-damn weak ass sw!

Me too. I fully expected to be way, way south. But it's hanging in there. 

37 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Only on the gfs. Most other guidance is west of that already. It has more room to amplify in the flow then Sunday did. 

33 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

G-damn weak ass sw!

Don't feel bad I got fooled for one day before I saw the warts. It was a legit threat if the vort was stronger. No way to know it would crap out. The Tuesday thing is more dynamic which makes picking out the general pattern support for it a bit easier.  But the details will determine our fate. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Don't feel bad I got fooled for one day before I saw the warts. It was a legit threat if the vort was stronger. No way to know it would crap out. The Tuesday thing is more dynamic which makes picking out the general pattern support for it a bit easier.  But the details will determine our fate. 

The question is would there be enough cold air? Seems some of the members show that risk on the 18z gefs.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm counting on Tuesday to have that 8"+ dynamic snowstorm that I've been wishing for.

15 minutes ago, PaEasternWX said:

The question is would there be enough cold air? Seems some of the members show that risk on the 18z gefs.

Yea I do think rain is the bigger risk not suppression with Tuesday. A few big rainstorms in the gefs. Not some big snows too. At least 8 decent hits and several really big ones. Several 1-3" type snows there too. It's a decent signal and another jump. 

23 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Through day 7 gefs looks to support Tuesday to a degree.

Some nice hits..

I bet it gets even better by 0z 

I'm not worried about the half that don't have a storm because if you look at the members a lot are still too amped with the Sunday system.  Expecting them to get day 7 right when they are way off day 5 is not realistic. As they come in line they should get better picture of next week. 

Last post for a while. Gefs snow mean overall increased about 1 to 2" across the region. That despite the fact we lost about 1.5-2" from Sunday. So again a net increase of about 2.5-4" for the period AFTER next Sunday. That's pretty significant and we would be weenieing out over it if not for the loss of Sunday tainting things. On to 0z and hopefully another step in the right direction. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived