joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my neck of the woods, these are the only double-digit snowfalls after 3/10.  Would love to crack this historic list:

13.8" -- 3/13/1993
13.7" -- 3/16-18/1928
13.6" -- 3/14-15/1999
12.0" -- 3/29/1942
11.0" -- 3/14-16/1937
10.0" -- 3/12/1968
10.0" -- 4/28/1928

That last one is incredible. Almost into May! That's a pretty gaudy list right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Is anyone still wishing the Sunday storm was happening? :P 

GFS looks so tasty right now. Monday/Tuesday night Jebwalks will be epic. 

I took a tiny bit of crap for complaining in February 2015 in a very similar setup because some were celebrating a north trend on the front runner wave that ended up a 3-5" snow for DC area but I was upset because it was screwing up the bigger threat behind it. 

Same general setup replayed only it went the way I wanted this time. I'll take the chance at a dynamic event over a sure 3-4" anyday.  But I know not all agree and that's cool. 

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

That last one is incredible. Almost into May! That's a pretty gaudy list right there.

That late April snowfall has to be one of the most anomalous weather events I have ever heard of.  25" in Frostburg, Md. Elkins, WV had 19" but the mountains south of there had almost 40" reported.  36" in the high ground of southwest Pa.. 15" in eastern KY and 13" in western NC.

Quick check of the data: there have been 12 Marches with 10" or more accumulation for DC, going back to 1888. (Same number as December.) Most occurred earlier in the 20th century or late 19th century. March 1914 tops at 19.3". Most recent, of course, was March 2014 (12.7"). Before that, the last double digit was March 1960 at 17.1." (DCA only recorded about 6 1/2 or so during the Superstorm.)  I know I'm cherry-picking a bit here, but between 1888 and 1918 there were equivalent numbers of Januaries and Marches with 10" monthly accumulations (six each).

Sure, it starts developing later but if the 18z GFS verified it would have a wide swath of 20-30 inch snowfalls in PA and NY, the initial phase from east of FL is something similar but if this gets a boost on later model runs (the FL component) then it could come to resemble 93 more in states from SC to WV too. 

I'm happy to see any kind of major snowfall event but this one could be tweaked into something awesome, at the moment it just begins to develop a bit later than ideal (meaning 10" instead of 20"). I didn't experience the 93 storm except for seeing its high cloud off to my southeast, but wasn't it somewhat too far west for heavy snow in DC-BAL? I seem to remember 30" in WV somewhere. 

That late April snowfall has to be one of the most anomalous weather events I have ever heard of.  25" in Frostburg, Md. Elkins, WV had 19" but the mountains south of there had almost 40" reported.  36" in the high ground of southwest Pa.. 15" in eastern KY and 13" in western NC.

That's other worldly. I'm going to have to look that one up. I love weather history such as that.

I've reached the point where my excitement has overwhelmed my pessimism. I've held off long enough. If this implodes now, actual sadness will be in order for a few days.  Anyone else get that sensation where despite being a skeptic, you realize you finally believe a storm will happen and you're afraid of the letdown if it doesn't pan out?

Ugh what a bizarre hobby. 

Cheers to a (hopefully) joyous weekend of model watching... Next bad run (and you know there'll be one) I'm on weeniecide watch. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived