Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

16 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Mappy told me to move this to the Banter thread:

So a lot of you have welcomed me to these boards with open arms since I moved from Louisiana in mid-December. I came in with such high hopes and optimism and had it crushed out of me by this winter. Storm after storm, I saw models throw up maps just like the ones I've seen the last two days, only to have those hopes dashed. 

I've only seen snow above 3" once, and only seen flakes 4 times (not counting the meager flakes this season here). I have yet to break 1" here in Gaithersburg.

I want to experience this so badly. I'm guarded now though in my excitement. I guess what I'm asking... is should I actually be preparing now for this to happen?

Do I need to buy anything, prepare for any long period stuck inside, how soon would the roads be passable if the most intense of maps comes into being?

I really want to take my kid out sledding!

I had 40" in January last year.  I was out in town the next morning.

Get some beverages and have fun.  You don't "need" anything.

Now, if you made your decision by watching other people you'd think that you were going to be reliving the experience of the Donner party.  But reality is, it's just snow and a few hours after it falls you're good to go.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a lot of you have welcomed me to these boards with open arms since I moved from Louisiana in mid-December. I came in with such high hopes and optimism and had it crushed out of me by this winter. Storm after storm, I saw models throw up maps just like the ones I've seen the last two days, only to have those hopes dashed. 

I've only seen snow above 3" once, and only seen flakes 4 times (not counting the meager flakes this season here). I have yet to break 1" here in Gaithersburg.

I want to experience this so badly. I'm guarded now though in my excitement. I guess what I'm asking... is should I actually be preparing now for this to happen?

Do I need to buy anything, prepare for any long period stuck inside, how soon would the roads be passable if the most intense of maps comes into being?

I really want to take my kid out sledding!

Welcome to the area!  Some of my Mom's family were from Louisiana and over the years we have visited Jena, Logansport and Houma.  Where is LA are you from?

Damn I wish you could have seen some of the great winters we've had recently, like 2010, 2014 and 2015.  Plus we had the blizzard last January.  This winter has been one of the worst I've ever seen and I've lived all my 50 years here except for Tallahassee from '85-'89.

Let's hope this holds and we get a nice hit.  Being northwest of I-95 helps a lot in marginal temp situations.  I once got on the train in Germantown with 8" and snowing hard, and got off at Union Station DC to rain and nothing on the ground.

Crews work quick around here and as long as you're not out in the sticks, you'll be plowed out fairly quickly.  Have food and beer ready though!

Just now, BlizzardNole said:

Welcome to the area!  Some of my Mom's family were from Louisiana and over the years we have visited Jena, Logansport and Houma.  Where is LA are you from?

Damn I wish you could have seen some of the great winters we've had recently, like 2010, 2014 and 2015.  Plus we had the blizzard last January.  This winter has been one of the worst I've ever seen and I've lived all my 50 years here except for Tallahassee from '85-'89.

Let's hope this holds and we get a nice hit.  Being northwest of I-95 helps a lot in marginal temp situations.  I once got on the train in Germantown with 8" and snowing hard, and got off at Union Station DC to rain and nothing on the ground.

Crews work quick around here and as long as you're not out in the sticks, you'll be plowed out fairly quickly.  Have food and beer ready though!

Close to Houma, and loving the area! Cold weather is awesome to me, though my wife hates it (she's from the North, lol).

I agree, I have had more eventful winters in Louisiana, but hopefully that changes Tuesday!

Really hoping Gaithersburg pays off for me. I am not lying, I chose my particular place in Gaithersburg literally because the elevation was higher and so I had a better chance of snow in marginal situations ;) 

And as a Louisianian, you can best be sure I have beer ready ;)

And as a Louisianian, you can best be sure I have beer ready ;)

Resist the urge to run to the grocery store for that "one thing we may need" when and if the media starts reporting from grocery store parking lots. 

46 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Really hoping Gaithersburg pays off for me. I am not lying, I chose my particular place in Gaithersburg literally because the elevation was higher and so I had a better chance of snow in marginal situations ;)

I grew up in Calvert and saw many heartbreaks being 30 miles southeast of DC -- Superstorm '93 was mostly rain for me.  Once I got a DC job, I relocated to the far NW burbs and it has mostly paid off.  Every once in a while my folks in lower southern MD pull an upset.  In that January storm my sister was texting me snow pics all day.  Pay backs!

Mr. Map is planning on laying down some grass seed this weekend on an area we tilled up and leveled out a while back. So, I really need it to snow Tuesday as I told him it would (otherwise, we are laying seed for nothing). 

25 minutes ago, mappy said:

Mr. Map is planning on laying down some grass seed this weekend on an area we tilled up and leveled out a while back. So, I really need it to snow Tuesday as I told him it would (otherwise, we are laying seed for nothing). 

Does he know how cold it'll be?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived