Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Not sure what more we could ask for outside of snow guns parked in the street on Christmas eve.  Climo, and more importantly my gut instinct, say dont buy into this quite yet.  Any idea if that HP is sticking around for a few days?

Climo said hell no but we still got plastered with 9-10” from the storm last week.  Snow is still on the ground 6 days later.  Anything can and will happen.  Lots of signals a big storm is in the works.  If it’s not the SE someone nearby will get hammered. 

3 hours ago, Northern Foothills Snowman said:

Just asking but why would you drop years?Are you wanting to get a satellite era report.  

30's was some of the hottest decades but they keep  adjusting the temps down to make it look cooler. 

I'm pretty sure they always do a 30-year average for climate normals updated every decade. So the only thing that would matter is 1980s vs. 2010s.

1 hour ago, Waiting on snow said:

Never bet against the willpower of the SER! It may very well take that 1040 high behind the woodshed!:lol:

Even with those huge anomalies doesn't really support a huge torch.  Those anomalies are compare to how things have been this month vr average . Even with that map showing that jet stream doesn't really reflect it.  2m temps at that timeframe show near normal to below normal depending on you location.  East of the Apps shows well defined CAD.

Screenshot_20171214-193130.png

Screenshot_20171214-192945.png

I think models are reversing a recording breaking 10mb PV displacement that happened in November, swinging it too far north on the other end. The Stratosphere warming happening now at 10mb further supports a different 500mb pattern than what medium-long term models are showing, and probably more of a +PNA configuration. I think cold will make it all the way to Florida by the last week of December. 

The SE ridge will most likely test our nerves. A lot of waffling back and forth with timing on the ens which probably means it's going to take longer to get rid of than we want.

The good thing about the SE ridge this time is its happening in conjunction with a really stout -epo. Big cold will be in north america versus other times where north america is getting blasted with pac maritime air....and we only go from very warm to less warm when fronts clear.lol

Luckily all ens guidance agrees that the mean trough axis moves eastward over time so we can see the way out. The big question is timing. When it happens it should be abrupt and open the door for winter wx for both our regions. Before that happens it looks like the best shot at anything will be a cad/overunning type of deal. Looks like a possible epic ice storm setup down the line a piece. Lower Midwest seems to be favored for now but it's over a week out and a lot of things can change. 

GFS has a Jan 31-Feb2 1996 look to it. That was the period of a large overrunning ice/snow storm for the SE. One of the more dramatic winter-storms I have ever experienced. Christmas time frame definitely has a lot of potential. Whether it comes together is questionable. Trends are important over the next few dys.

020118.png

Archived