Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Obs and Disc Thread

mappy

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 days left in 2016.  Been a rough stretch if you like cold/ cool, stormy weather.  After the blizzard in January, it's been 11 straight months of AN temps and very dry.  Here are monthly temp and precip departures at HGR:

Dec: +1.6  PCP (-0.88") so far
Nov: +3.4  PCP (-1.90")
Oct:  +4.5  PCP (-2.25")
Sep: +7.1  PCP (-1.18")
Aug: +5.8  PCP (-1.35")
Jul:  +3.9   PCP (-0.54")
Jun: +1.9   PCP (-0.48")
May: +0.6  PCP (+0.10")
Apr:  +0.6  PCP (-1.64")
Mar:  +8.8  PCP (-1.76")
Feb:  +1.2  PCP (+1.06")

Hope 2017 can bring more precip to alleviate the deficit.  A BN month would be nice too, preferably Jan or Feb ;)

6 hours ago, WVclimo said:

5 days left in 2016.  Been a rough stretch if you like cold/ cool, stormy weather.  After the blizzard in January, it's been 11 straight months of AN temps and very dry.  Here are monthly temp and precip departures at HGR:

Dec: +1.6  PCP (-0.88") so far
Nov: +3.4  PCP (-1.90")
Oct:  +4.5  PCP (-2.25")
Sep: +7.1  PCP (-1.18")
Aug: +5.8  PCP (-1.35")
Jul:  +3.9   PCP (-0.54")
Jun: +1.9   PCP (-0.48")
May: +0.6  PCP (+0.10")
Apr:  +0.6  PCP (-1.64")
Mar:  +8.8  PCP (-1.76")
Feb:  +1.2  PCP (+1.06")

Hope 2017 can bring more precip to alleviate the deficit.  A BN month would be nice too, preferably Jan or Feb ;)

Great stats.  Really emphasizes just how hot we've been for a LONG time.  A truly miserable year.  Interestingly, despite all the complaining on this board about the "cold", rainy spring, April and May were still AN temps, and BN precip.

My favorite aspect of winter other than snow, ice, and cold is the way the low sun angle illuminates the surroundings. I took a nice hike hike on the less travelled paths on Sugarloaf Mt.(southern Frederick, MD) and was blown away with the beautiful winter landscape. The warm temp was nice as well- especially knowing that we have some potential winter weather in the next few weeks. I hope many of you got to get outside today and enjoy the weather.

34 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Winter Storm Watch out this way, may be our best snow of the season so far.  Just in time for all the folks skiing for the holidays.

Looks like a pretty classic upslope event.  Hoping you guys can break a foot.  Seems like the local NWS offices are enthusiastic based on the discussions. 

Nobody is talking about it, but I think the areas north of a Hagerstown to Balt line, and maybe south of there too, are going to see some snow tonight.  If you can believe the NAM, maybe an inch or two of wet snow.  Surface temps have fallen nicely and the NAM has the 850 line south of there by morning.

The euro and gfs have also painted in a little snow for areas north of a Funchester DC line.

7 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Nobody is talking about it, but I think the areas north of a Hagerstown to Balt line, and maybe south of there too, are going to see some snow tonight.  If you can believe the NAM, maybe an inch or two of wet snow.  Surface temps have fallen nicely and the NAM has the 850 line south of there by morning.

The euro and gfs have also painted in a little snow for areas north of a Funchester DC line.

I'm thinking we see a little something. It's gotten quite chilly. Maybe we get a surprise.

Meh, I don't know where/am to lazy to find the soundings for DCA, but even there at 10hrs the 850 line is just south of it.

I'd love to see a dusting!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived