Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was able to go to the World Trade Center in late November of 97. Lucky enough to witness a great weather event.  It was raining on the street when we entered the building.  These very fast mph elevators zoomed you to the top to the observation deck surrounded by glass. Etched in the glass was the outline of the city. There was a step down where you could look straight down. Just unbelievable high. It started lightning below us and snowing, graupel was rising up. Then magically the sky cleared and the front passed revealing a truly incredible view. Today is  a heartbreaking day and the only  day I can remember an entire day from start to finish. Never Forget 

It's a pity that we are wired to remember life's tragedies with perfect clarity, but many of our happiest moments fade. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

73/59 at present.  Grabbed 0.3" of rain with the passage

The wind was the story though.  Pretty intense. Lots of branches and trees down in town. We actually lost power for a couple of hours.  Pretty much the whole town

brilliant blue sky and breezy now.  Almost went into the pool today. Water is decently warm but it might be chilly with the wind and low dews now

42 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

73/59 at present.  Grabbed 0.3" of rain with the passage

The wind was the story though.  Pretty intense. Lots of branches and trees down in town. We actually lost power for a couple of hours.  Pretty much the whole town

brilliant blue sky and breezy now.  Almost went into the pool today. Water is decently warm but it might be chilly with the wind and low dews now

Glad you got your power back.  I was just at the pool--not to swim though.   The wind  blew in so many leaves and small sticks from neighboring trees.  Wiz would have freaked out by the 3-4 huge spiders that were in there floating on leaves.  I wonder if they hang out in his hottub.....

69*

Since we are talking about some intense winds with the fast moving cold front I thought I would post a You Tube video of an intense downburst.  The title says its a downburst and the winds keep coming from right to left.  I have never seen downburst winds so strong.  Now this is a severe thunderstorm!  Imagine if it occurred over a place like downtown Boston.

Enjoy

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Since we are talking about some intense winds with the fast moving cold front I thought I would post a You Tube video of an intense downburst.  The title says its a downburst and the winds keep coming from right to left.  I have never seen downburst winds so strong.  Now this is a severe thunderstorm!  Imagine if it occurred over a place like downtown Boston.

Enjoy

Oh I have a whole bookmarks folder of this stuff to help get me through dark times such as this summer.

one of my faves... A shame the guy put safety first and stopped filming:

10 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Enjoy

That was I think Belarus maybe? That area gets good severe. 

Hurricane Donna hits New England on this date in 1960...The first day of school and I was in the sixth grade at the time...A stormy start to a stormy sixth grade...

1895 was hot on this date...1952 also...1889 had an off shore Hurricane with a peculiar track...

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1895-09-13/ed-1/seq-7/

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/54520515/

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/50407551

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1889-09-13/ed-1/seq-1/

Record rainfall on this date was caused by Hurricane Donna.
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlant...DONNA/track.gif
1889's rainfall had some tropical help.
Interesting track for this storm.
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlant...889/4/track.gif

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like the official low was 40F for MPV, but I see what you are saying on the 5-minute obs..  Think it's a rounding thing.  Either way that was a nice crisp night.

Yeah, it looked like there were several 39° readings just before 7:00.  It may not be "official" but I'm calling it lol.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

4C but only 40F like PF said. Close.

HIE 35

BML 36

SLK 36

IZG 37

Damn nice on IZG...you expect the others in that list but IZG strikes me more of an MVL type.  Can occasionally hang with the big boy radiators but not on a nightly basis.

I wonder if Tamarack's pocket snuck really low.  He often is similar to those ASOS stations.

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Damn nice on IZG...you expect the others in that list but IZG strikes me more of an MVL type.  Can occasionally hang with the big boy radiators but not on a nightly basis.

I wonder if Tamarack's pocket snuck really low.  He often is similar to those ASOS stations.

SFM got down to 36F. That place is a pit.

But I drove past that airport on my way to meet our DJ one day, and I can see why it gets so cold. It's basically miles of swampy, flat land near the Kennebunk Plains. It's probably not even the coldest part of Sanford either.

Also what's with all your breweries being closed on Sundays? I have all my free time that day this coming weekend and I can't go visit any! How am I supposed to load my car up to cross state lines?

32 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

SFM got down to 36F. That place is a pit.

But I drove past that airport on my way to meet our DJ one day, and I can see why it gets so cold. It's basically miles of swampy, flat land near the Kennebunk Plains. It's probably not even the coldest part of Sanford either.

Also what's with all your breweries being closed on Sundays? I have all my free time that day this coming weekend and I can't go visit any! How am I supposed to load my car up to cross state lines?

Hung over?

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Not this time, no sub-40 today - I think the wind stayed up a bit too long.  Was also a bit surprised to see the temp bump up a degree between 5 and 6 AM since it's usually still cooling then.

Definitely starting to get that cool season look to the satellite now. Tea kettle effect starting on the lakes this morning. Land breezes that develop overnight help to focus and even force clouds in the middle of Lake Erie. The convex shape of the northern part of the lake shore helps to create the meso low with convergent winds. 

vis.jpeg

Archived