12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking a practicum in broadcasting class and we're making our own forecasts and such.  Does anyone know of any awesome links or programs where you can make your own features such as warm or cold fronts, high's, lows, etc?  I need a program where you can draw them to how you like them but they don't come out as looking hand drawn...if that makes sense.

55 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Taking a practicum in broadcasting class and we're making our own forecasts and such.  Does anyone know of any awesome links or programs where you can make your own features such as warm or cold fronts, high's, lows, etc?  I need a program where you can draw them to how you like them but they don't come out as looking hand drawn...if that makes sense.

Yup...  go to WSI (Scott should show you how...) and purchase their Max Weather graphics system for 100,000 $ plus later licences fees...  should be able to draw maybe a cold boundary with that -

1 minute ago, eekuasepinniW said:

nice dense cloud of miserymist just quickly rolled through.

so boring, even miserymist is an event now.

we are in a quiescence era.   there's a dearth of "excitable" events going on in this hobby/practicum that's really been going on since the February snow blitz a year.5 ago.  Last winter was entirely banal, and banality suppressed heat at least excuse imaginable all summer at times seemingly in spite of the pattern 'look'.  all anomalies have been manageable...forgettable since the big snow. 

a Met buddy and myself were discussing it ... how there's a kind of 'event budget' at every location, however relative to that locations proneness to drama/type.  

Say ... Lake Winn. can expect a dramatic weather event ... once every 5 years; that would be based upon a mean, which isn't really correlated to wild times or not - that's just the number of occurrence/n- years. 

it 'seems' based upon any such suppositional mean some regions are 'due' for something significant - i don't think the current drought really qualifies, ...particularly as we get closer to the threshold of coastal season, set to get under way next month.   hard to say though .. lots of modeling suggests the frequency of bigger events increases in GW and many would argue that's already occurring.   if so, that only ups it for our region.  18 months without much to write home about ... not to bun my self or anything but that's kind of dangerous because the general public disrespects 'threats' of the weather variety as it is so softening their awareness isn't probably the best course. 

40 minutes ago, w1pf said:

May there is something with a student version? Maybe your Met or Brodcasting instructors have some leads?

I know on the engineering side, things that cost me (a non-student) $10K+ are <$100 for students.. 

unfortunately no...just some symbols that were already obtained and used by previous students.  We basically just make our forecasts in powerpoint form lol.  

1 hour ago, w1pf said:

May there is something with a student version? Maybe your Met or Brodcasting instructors have some leads?

I know on the engineering side, things that cost me (a non-student) $10K+ are <$100 for students.. 

Yeah, it's a broadcasting class - surely they have something.  I never wanted to go into broadcasting but did take a broadcasting class one semester at Lyndon and they had something in the studio to create graphics.  Things were pretty simple back then though.

Wiz, what about doing a power point presentation and through up some available graphics and use paint.net or gimp to edit a map and draw some lines for fronts and add some temperatures, etc.?  It's not weather specific and might take more time but you can easily get radar and satellite loops.  I did a search for some maps and was able to find some nice looking ones.  You just need to add the data!

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

Wiz, what about doing a power point presentation and through up some available graphics and use paint.net or gimp to edit a map and draw some lines for fronts and add some temperatures, etc.?  It's not weather specific and might take more time but you can easily get radar and satellite loops.  I did a search for some maps and was able to find some nice looking ones.  You just need to add the data!

I did use paint.net to make my surface map graphics but my drawing skills were pretty meh.  We have base maps (continental US, regional, etc) but its getting good looking sfc features to draw. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Trying to decode a TAF and what does a P before SM indicate?  For example, I'm on the line that says

FM1900 250011KT P6SM so after 19z winds will become more SW at 11 knots but don't know what that P means before 6 statute miles for visibility

It means Greater than 6 statute miles. In North America we deviate from the rest of the world in using SM instead of meters. If you look at a international METAR...for unrestricted visibility they will have 9999. That's the upper bounds of the vis reported and basically means greater than 10KM. In the US, 6SM is about 10KM so that is why we use 6SM as the limit and not 7SM or 20SM. Some AWOS stations do report vis that high, however. That's because AWOS can so that. All you need to know, is that P6SM is unrestricted. 

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It means Greater than 6 statute miles. In North America we deviate from the rest of the world in using SM instead of meters. If you look at a international METAR...for unrestricted visibility they will have 9999. That's the upper bounds of the vis reported and basically means greater than 10KM. In the US, 6SM is about 10KM so that is why we use 6SM as the limit and not 7SM or 20SM. Some AWOS stations do report vis that high, however. That's because AWOS can so that. All you need to know, is that P6SM is unrestricted. 

Wow very interesting...did not know that.  Thanks! 

Archived