Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Definitely starting to get that cool season look to the satellite now. Tea kettle effect starting on the lakes this morning. Land breezes that develop overnight help to focus and even force clouds in the middle of Lake Erie. The convex shape of the northern part of the lake shore helps to create the meso low with convergent winds. 

vis.jpeg

Very cool!  Love the meso-low.

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Definitely starting to get that cool season look to the satellite now. Tea kettle effect starting on the lakes this morning. Land breezes that develop overnight help to focus and even force clouds in the middle of Lake Erie. The convex shape of the northern part of the lake shore helps to create the meso low with convergent winds. 

vis.jpeg

It's little gems like this that make this board great. Thanks so much. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Oh you didn't? The stations here made it sounds like you did.  What's the criteria to survey? Is it supposed to be over a certain square mileage or if there was significant damage or injuries?

Nobody from our office was there anyway.

There is no hard and fast criteria, other than if we suspect it was tornadic we'll take a look. A really significant, localized wind event could qualify, but I know our management doesn't like to survey straight line wind if we can help it. And a day like Sunday with widespread straight line winds makes it hard to pick one area over another. Though we tend to survey based on media pressure at this office, which becomes perpetuating because media asks, we survey, so the media will continue to ask. 

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Even with windows/fans, my house can get up to mid/upper 70s.  Too warm for my liking.  I like it a cool 68-70F during the summer.

Night is the only time when indoor temps really matter for me... I physically can't sleep if it's warmer than 68F or so. Window fans have been the name of the game the past few nights, but I expect to use the AC at least a couple more times.

17 hours ago, kdxken said:

Gust front from yesterday.  If someone could explain in layman's terms why the wind was so inconsistent( note the large pine in the middle of the video) it would be appreciated.

That pine appears to be farther away.  The shorter trees between it and the taller tree to it's left (as seen on-screen) weren't moving much, either.  Sometimes, gusts of straight-line winds can be quite narrow.  After the July 1999 derecho, I saw in Eustis a strip of flattened red pine, a relatively windfirm species, that was about 80 feet wide and 600 long, with undamaged trees on either side.

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Highest temp of the season here was 1-day of 90F at MVL.  But we have a big permanent wall unit so I turned it on a few times in the evening.  I don't mind 86/57 but once it decouples to 67/67 it's too humid.

This isn't to say there hasn't been an uncomfortable night or two (there certainly has).  However, in the six years since I last installed I find that I acclimate pretty quickly.  Also, window fan in the evening will do the trick.  No need to spend hours installing in April for me. :)

Archived