joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get excited when red circles are drawn around me even if I have no idea what it means.

Right?

That one is pretty easy though. It's a probabilities of MLCAPE > 500, MLLCL <1.5km, 0-1 helicity > 100, 0-6km shear > 40 kts, and that there is any convective QPF multiplied together. So 5% is a small number, but means that there must be sufficiently large probabilities of each individual parameter.

Taking a quick look through, this image is being dominated by the probabilities for low LCLs, high shear, and convective precip. CAPe is 50/50 and helicity is low. So while it's called significant tornado ingredients, sometimes it's just helpful to located areas favorable for severe convection.

Right?

That one is pretty easy though. It's a probabilities of MLCAPE > 500, MLLCL <1.5km, 0-1 helicity > 100, 0-6km shear > 40 kts, and that there is any convective QPF multiplied together. So 5% is a small number, but means that there must be sufficiently large probabilities of each individual parameter.

Taking a quick look through, this image is being dominated by the probabilities for low LCLs, high shear, and convective precip. CAPe is 50/50 and helicity is low. So while it's called significant tornado ingredients, sometimes it's just helpful to located areas favorable for severe convection.

Great explanation. Very cool.  Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share some knowledge.

Congrats Picnic Tables.

LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

As of 331 AM EDT Monday...deep mid/upper level trof continues to impact our region on weds night through friday...before slowly lifting by the weekend. the combination of northwest upslope flow and associated cold air advection will result in additional showers and brisk conditions on weds night. have noted progged 850mb temps drop between -1c and +1c by 12z thurs...supporting some mixed wet snow above 4000 feet on weds night...a light coating is possible on the summits.

Congrats Picnic Tables.

As of 331 AM EDT Monday...deep mid/upper level trof continues to impact our region on weds night through friday...before slowly lifting by the weekend. the combination of northwest upslope flow and associated cold air advection will result in additional showers and brisk conditions on weds night. have noted progged 850mb temps drop between -1c and +1c by 12z thurs...supporting some mixed wet snow above 4000 feet on weds night...a light coating is possible on the summits.

Wow! I wish I could get up there to see that!

Congrats Picnic Tables.

that is nuts, hope you enjoy. I'm moving to Laramie, Wyoming later this year for my job. The mountains there are 12,000 plus feet and have snow all year around. I was at Medicene Bow Peak on the 4th of July last year and there was still piles of snow all over and got caught in a heavy thunderstorm with about an inch of nickel sized hail and the temp went from about 55 to 38 in the matter of 5 minutes. Can't wait to live at 7,200 feet.

Congrats Picnic Tables.

Can't remember the exact year but sometime late 90's I was hiking the summit trail between Lincoln and Lafayette in NH on June 14th and got caught in moderate snow showers at the top.

i get the feeling this is going to be the summer of the hidden ridge ... 

they'll verify from time to time ... but they'll almost never be modeled in a middle or extended lead, as these models just seem as though they must have been deliberately designed to crash heights beyond D4's ... anything in the flow that possibly could justify and it's open season on erosion with these things.

interesting

That is a very intense shortwave nosing southeastward out of Ontario on Saturday into Sunday on the Euro. Wonder if that gets a more legit severe threat into this area depending on its exact timing/track, the GFS is further west.

Euro tries to go snow on the mountains again around D6-7, lol. It even gets 0C at 850 into most of SNE. That's pretty crazy stuff for mid June.

go back and look at the 12z run yesterday ... outright blue hammered N half of Maine

NWS Buffalo, I love the highlighted comment:

Wednesday will be the chilliest day of the week as the core of a
potent shortwave will be plowing across the Lower Great Lakes.
Immediately in the wake of this system, 850mb temps will continue
their sharp decline, bottoming out in the 0C to +2C range. As
previously mentioned, given the relatively warm waters of the lakes,
the sfc-850mb temperature differential, as much as 18C, and the
generally well-oriented west-northwest flow will surely generate a
considerable lake response. The combination of the upper level
feature and the lake enhancement will likely result in scattered
showers across much of the forecast area on Wednesday, with showers
even more likely across the upslope areas downwind of the lakes. The
combination of cloudy skies and cold temperatures aloft will make it
feel more like mid-October rather than June, with temperatures only
limping into the mid to upper 50s.