Newest Member
    joxey
June Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol...that's 100F at d10.

not that anyone asked but 'm on the fence with all that ... having to consider a cornucopia of pros and cons, each of which is arguable pretty much all = 0 skill.

not even sure to begin, but here's a few:

1 .. 'season of malcontent' - there is something to be said for persistence, and anyone that would deny that this season has shown a propensity to ...quite figuratively "engineer" excuses not to bring deep heat east of the Lakes really should shut-down their PC and/or mobile device and never turn it back on again ...  Call it Stockholm Syndrome if we must .. but given that propensity it is very hard to imagine an extreme outlook that has to do with heat (thus in particular) actually making it all the way from a blue moon to verification time without the atmosphere throwing initializations into the models as though there were an actual agenda to fumble around and f- it all up! 

2 .. sarcasm aside, the Euro solution has too long of a wave length from the WC to nearly the EC.  'Over the top' heat, which is how the model initially brings it in, is prone heat; what the means is that ANY perturbation will stop that, be it a backdoor poorly modeled, or just flat out being too far NE with warm boundaries relative to a NW flow at 700 mb level.  That's what did us in yesterday - that warm air was sheared SE by a cosmic scaled pair of scissors!   ...Just the same, does wave length matter necessarily?  I mean, yes they should be shortened during the summer months, but .. if the main band of hemispheric gradient should lift N of the 45th parallel, it almost doesn't matter.  A GW rich atmosphere with gradually homogenizing continental rotisserie oven sort of makes the point moot. 

3 .. the 06z GFS and 00z GGEM break continuity drastically by closing a 4 contoured closed summer killer on the Delmarva ..then going on to taking some 4 or 5 days to fill it /lift it out ... over which time, the current heat signal gets wasted.  

a .. logic dictates (based in no small part on classical education mixed over years with experience) that continuity breaks should be taken with a grain of salt (or is it 'assualt'?)

b .. on the other hand, paragraph 1 above actually supports the 06z GFS and 00Z GGEM solutions - hmm (eye, brow raises). that offers up a tough conundrum:  does the summer weather enthusiast automatically, knee-jerk expect that since it is SNE and the topic at hand is warm air .. aggressive, painful and humiliating anal pounding by the cosmic dildo will take place if given any excuse to do so, or,

c .. dying El Nino summers are supposed to be hot.  at least that all the stuff i've read (not sure what else is out there..).  if we are to meet at all with climate expectations, at some point, we have to stop talking about snow on top of mt f-kum Mansfield in June for christ sake!  Maybe now is time...

d .. the obvious:  the GGEM can't be trusted for any reason and therefore, i deserve a bun for even bringing it up; while the 06Z oper. GFS ( was told personally by an NWS employee) should be considered as just another ensemble member because its initialization blends the first 6 hourly data off the 00z to fill the holes.   which heh...yes and no for me.

4 ... the GGEM and GFS ( I think) could be converging on a similar solution along the EC by way of disparate biases in play.  in other words, coincidentally.  the GGEM has a dig for oil bias that it also parlays the other way with too much height amplitude beyond ... say 10 minutes of any run out in time (it seems).  meanwhile, i've noticed the the operational GFS can't admit that winter ended N of the 45th latitude.  it just refuses to lift the westlies anywhere, period.  and this makes it susceptible to this kind of thing (if it is proven to be error).   we've already seen a closed low (though weaker relative to what the GFS modeled leading up to it...) verify this season, so...meh, they can happen.  AND, this would also atone for the Euro's 'too long' of a wave length.  

this list goes on...

we could get into 104 F at Logan on the D10 solution?!   umm.. right.  Like, why should that be any different than a 974 mb tempest on ISP on a late January D10 chart (or D5 for that matter)?   right -  

contrasting, the continuity argument above supports a warmer than normal period in there - though 104 obviously notwithstanding.  

self-loathing insists the universe is out to get me ... and since i'm a summer enthusiast, i'm already trying to find other hobbies to offer proverbial lube. 

my struggle with objectivity forces my hand though, and i suggest nothing's different than yesterday (for now) ... figure a pattern looms offering 88-92 type stuff. 

It's a d10 deterministic run...I don't think anyone is buying high heat from that excluding a poster from NE CT. 100F is rare territory anyways. I think we're more amused at the prog than anything.

I agree that it looks more like a trend toward an AN pattern...probably 88-92 days like you mention and some muggy days mixed in. I feel like the solstice is around the time when summer begins to settle in anyways.

It's a d10 deterministic run...I don't think anyone is buying high heat from that excluding a poster from NE CT. 100F is rare territory anyways. I think we're more amused at the prog than anything.

I agree that it looks more like a trend toward an AN pattern...probably 88-92 days like you mention and some muggy days mixed in. I feel like the solstice is around the time when summer begins to settle in anyways.

Be that as it may, we've got our late-October day going on today.

60.4/43 gusty.

oh i know Brian ... i'm just using your post as a launching point to be snarky and sarcastic ... 

'freaky deeky got it :) 

apparently no one knows - ...which is true anyway ...

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1206 PM EDT SUN JUN 12 2016

VALID 12Z WED JUN 15 2016 - 12Z SUN JUN 19 2016

MODEL GUIDANCE SHOWS THAT THE MEDIUM-RANGE PERIOD THROUGH SUNDAY
OF NEXT WEEK WILL FEATURE A STRENGTHENING POSITIVELY TILTED
UPPER-LEVEL RIDGE IN THE MID-SECTION OF THE COUNTRY COUPLED WITH A
POSITIVELY TILTED TROUGH NEAR THE EAST COAST AND ANOTHER
POSITIVELY TILTED TROUGH/LOW JUST OFF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST.
MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT OVER THE WESTERN HALF OF THE
COUNTRY. ON THE EASTERN U.S. HOWEVER...THE LATEST MODEL RUNS ARE
INDICATING A HIGH VARIABILITY REGARDING THE EVENTUAL DEVELOPMENT
OF THE UPPER TROUGH FEATURE. THE LATEST ECMWF IS NO LONGER
INDICATING A RESIDUAL UPPER-LEVEL LOW ROTATING SOUTHWARD ACROSS
OHIO VALLEY BY NEXT WEEKEND...BUT RATHER...PUSHING THE EASTERN
TROUGH OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST OF THE U.S. WITH A HINT OF A CUTOFF
CIRCULATION. THE 06Z GFS ON THE OTHER HAND...CONTINUES WITH ITS
TREND SINCE THE 00Z RUN...DEEPENS THIS BAROCLINIC TROUGH
VIGOROUSLY JUST OFF THE EAST COAST...RESULTING IN A DEEP SURFACE
CYCLONE SOUTH OF LONG ISLAND BY NEXT SUNDAY. THIS SCENARIO HAS
BEEN REJECTED IN FAVOR OF THE MUCH LESS AGGRESSIVE HANDLING OF THE
UPPER TROUGH AS INDICATED BY THE ECMWF SOLUTIONS.
GIVEN THE WARM
WATERS OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST...THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR CONVECTION
TO SLOWLY DEVELOP AROUND THIS OFFSHORE LOW.

ELSEWHERE...MODELS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT THROUGH DAY 7 IN THE WEST.

Archived