Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if we can get some accumulation on the picnic tables on Thursday? There will be a period of upslope where thermal profiles support snow. Certainly I think MWN is going to get some accumulating snow.

Yeah I think so... the NAM is cold.  Like -4C at H85 over Mansfield with a decent upslope showery look.

Definitely wouldn't be shocked at a coating of snow at 4,000ft on Thursday morning.

post-352-0-79531500-1465332389_thumb.gif

When is the last time in snowed in June in the Greens/Whites, must be a while ago? It's sad how after the worst winter in recorded history for Mt Mansfield, the mountain faces a June snow possibility.

BTV said there have been 4 accumulating events for Mansfield since 1954...so not often.

MWN at 2,000ft higher averages at least some snow in June. That extra 2kft make the difference this time of year haha.

The main limiting factor in these events are often the low level moisture and lift is occurring in such an unfriendly environment for snowflakes, that sometimes it just ends up being freezing rain at the summit. We've had some September icing in recent years when H85 goes below 0C but the orographic lift is so low in the atmosphere it's just super-cooled water droplets instead of flakes.

When is the last time in snowed in June in the Greens/Whites, must be a while ago? It's sad how after the worst winter in recorded history for Mt Mansfield, the mountain faces a June snow possibility.

Couldn't buy this forecast in December but why not early to mid June?

post-352-0-76908500-1465340194_thumb.jpe

mmm, "powerful summer Nor'easter" may seem like an oxymoron.  they do happen from rare time to rare time.  i recall a case study as an undergrad, featuring a July bomb, circa 1970s.  pure baroclinic 980 mb Del Marva to Cape Cod windy, rainy menace.  

Still, this medium range thing the GFS oper. and several members of it's ensembles are selling is unique, even by winter standards.  that sucker comes down out of Ontario and closes off, capturing a surface low for a good old fashioned 'hook-and-ladder' backer like you dream about in February.  they never seem to work out too well then - not sure we should by it now. 

whether that thing happens or not, marvelous cold anomaly over this hemispheric quadrature to put it nicely...  Those NASA numbers don't lie ... we're on a multi-decade, multi-month within that is alarming, very real *and justly an alarmingly warming planet, and it really more than seems that the worse it gets, the more cold abused our warm seasons get over eastern Canada ...which of course bleeds down into our region in New England. interesting... 

As for the warm up on the latter part of the month - i'm perfectly willing to put that off closer to the 4th... if we're going to sack the month this hard and extreme...usually those sort of "special" anomalies take longer to break down.  

As for the warm up on the latter part of the month - i'm perfectly willing to put that off closer to the 4th... if we're going to sack the month this hard and extreme...usually those sort of "special" anomalies take longer to break down.  

Music to DamageInTolland's ears.

I'm not speculating on it one way or another, but when talking about patterns in the winter, we always know the pattern changes progged at week 3 usually end up taking longer than expected to fully come in.

As I posted yesterday, I hiked in June -sn/sn across the Lincoln-Lafayette ridge line trail sometime in the mid to late 90's.

:lol: Taber mentioned the picnic tables in an AFD.

Meanwhile...thermal profiles continue to cool with progged 850mb temps near 1c by 00z thursday supporting snow levels above summit level...but cold air advection continues overnight with 850mb temps near -1c by 06z...and near -3c by 12z thursday. Nam bufkit sounding at jay peak shows freezing levels around 3500 feet by 03z...falling to 2000 feet by 12z thursday...supporting some wet snow flakes. thinking the best chance of a dusting to maybe an inch or so will be above 3500 feet across the dacks and northern greens...so the picnic table near the summit of mt mansfield should be white on thursday morning.

It snowed in Lake Placid and Saranac Lake that year on May 31st. I have some web cams saved of snow on the ground and rooftops with fully green trees around. We had graupel in BTV that day too.

Didn't White Face pick up a couple feet of snow around Memorial Day a few years ago?

NOAA/NWS main page headline:

Tranquil weather for the eastern U.S.

Colin has weakened to a depression as it races away from the U.S. coast into the open Atlantic. Meanwhile, conditions will improve dramatically for the eastern U.S. as a cold front ushers in a pristine airmass marked by plentiful sunshine and low humidity.

Sounds horrific, glad nobody lives there.

mmm, "powerful summer Nor'easter" may seem like an oxymoron.  they do happen from rare time to rare time.  i recall a case study as an undergrad, featuring a July bomb, circa 1970s.  pure baroclinic 980 mb Del Marva to Cape Cod windy, rainy menace.  

Don't know if a nor'easter was involved, but July 20, 1996 had by far the strongest non-convective summertime winds of my experience.  Same for MWN - I recall reading after that event that the Rockpile's day-long avg wind was just under 100 mph, windiest summer day in their records.

Two friends got married that Saturday, and the reception was held in a tent set up on the church lawn.  The whole time some of us were re-driving the 4-ft-long tent pegs as the wind worked them loose.  Would not have been pretty if the whole thing had set sail for the Kennebec, 100 yards downwind.  (Fortunately the soil was essentially stone-free.)

feels like it did ... 

man, gray-blue streets of cold air nimbus at dawn ... temps in the 50s, with tree tops bending in the wind?  

yeah, i'd say it verified...  But, i guess an actual sounding would be required to seal the deal.  

October 15 ... I've often worked it out in my mind;  

78 June, 88 July, 78 August, 68 September, 58 October, 48 November, and 38 December.  

give or take a few ticks and notwithstanding year to year variability ...that's what mid life remembers about SNE. 

Didn't White Face pick up a couple feet of snow around Memorial Day a few years ago?

While it wasn't a huge snow event, last year when I went up to Big Moose Lake...West and south of White Face.It was snowing pretty good.  Maybe 1/4" accum.

Man ... that 12z Euro run is one helluva Kevin-ass-chapped summer killer for New England..

Actually, D3 on this run is interesting.  Sunday at dawn has +15 to +17C sneaky heat poking up ahead of that power house front.. . The big closed low and coastal is no longer as much of a player on this run, and it looks more sensible overall - what does one think when it comes inside of D4 ;)   ...But, it still does a face-smack cool down...

big front, ....then, Kevin's preparation-H breaks out...  Walled off, continental heat everywhere except us ... whole country parties ...  New England continues in it's 18 month and counting bubble of cool delusion right out to the end of the run.   

ha!

Did this verify?

Had ice pellets above 3,300ft when I was up there this morning. Web cam had a few images that looked like flakes during the deeper moisture but all I saw was something like frozen raindrops. One of the BTV mets sent some AWIPS screen shots showing cloud tops of -5C and no ice formation needed to generate crystals. So we had small droplets freezing rain/rain that were able to freeze into tiny pellets. Sort of like a hybrid sleet and graupel.

Had ice pellets above 3,300ft when I was up there this morning. Web cam had a few images that looked like flakes during the deeper moisture but all I saw was something like frozen raindrops. One of the BTV mets sent some AWIPS screen shots showing cloud tops of -5C and no ice formation needed to generate crystals. So we had small droplets freezing rain/rain that were able to freeze into tiny pellets. Sort of like a hybrid sleet and graupel.

you need some sort of once in 10,000 year volcano or meteor impact for that to happen in June  - heh

Archived