• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June Pattern Discussion

CapturedNature

I'd have to double check with my parents...but I think my family may have been vacationing in Arizona during that 1990 heat wave. I remember everyone making a big deal of the heat. My parents have a picture of me in front of a digital thermometer reading 117 at our hotel. Lows were barely made it back into the 80s. Of course then we made our way up the Grand Canyon. We spent a night in Flagstaff where it couldn't have been above 70. With the clouds and wind it felt Arctic. My dad made us swim in the unheated pool probably because we bugged him all day...one of the coldest and miserable swimming experiences I can recall...having spent several days in the 90 degree pool water in Phoenix.

Went to a outdoor wedding in phoenix during the 1990 heat wave. The ceremony lasted all of 2 minutes before folks ran inside. It was 103 degrees at 3:00 am during after wedding pool party in Scottsdale. Don't go to phoenix in late June or early July.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's high but not shabby    1 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Wednesday
Snow showers likely, mainly after 11am. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 17. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. Southwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Thursday
A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 19. Southwest wind around 6 mph. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Thursday Night
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Friday
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 21. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
Friday Night
A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12. Blustery. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Should have an EML floating around the northeast and/or southern Canada Monday-ish. Just need better low level moisture and good frontal timing. The ECMWF op run would be a downer tho with that low off the coast. Either way that nasty ridge in the central us should keep lapse rates real steep.

NWS/BOS:

Mid next week...
Latest trends and ensemble probabilities area bit cooler than
previous runs following the cold frontal passage, featuring the
development of another longwave trof across the northeast. This
may contradict the earlier, warmer thinking unless the subtropical
stream can maintain beyond the cold frontal passage.

NWS/BOS:

Mid next week...

With the exception of unit in the barn that I work out in, I have turned the a.c. units on in the house a grand total of 2 times this year so far.  ....I wish I installed in April and not June.

i think it's really interesting that whatever physics/processing there is/are that goes into the make-up of the euro model, its outcome can be so vastly disparate compared to the other guidance' ... which at this point look nothing like that.

firstly, the discrete angle on the euro is one that really doesn't bring  a lot of sensible impact directly as a result of the euro's closed low..    these latest cycles actually put any surface/lower troposphere reflection of what's going on aloft, too far e to really mean much.  but, indirectly it would certainly serve as a 'block' of sort, preventing heat/eml from making a the day to two day visit up in the ne.  i think that is really what's at stake.

otherwise, i'm not completely sold on the trough in Canada 'denting'/'tamping' down the mammoth ridge in the Lakes to NE region beyond the weekend.   it could certainly do that, and i don't have the bravery to say no ... admittedly.  but i can easily imagine a model run where that corrects the westerlies even a little N, and that would impact the longevity of above normal temps later next week.  the gefs-derived NAO offer a higher height translation through Ontario right when these operational runs are attempting to force in a +PNAP counter-balance to the heat dome.  interesting 

NWS/BOS:

Mid next week...

Yeah there has been a definite increase in the amplitude of the longwave trough that digs in after about 6/21-6/22.

Yeah there has been a definite increase in the amplitude of the longwave trough that digs in after about 6/21-6/22.

I'm 50/50 on whether that's proven too aggressive in latitude S.  

There is a transient -EPO bulge up there and that probably does push a trough out across Canada, but given that there is base-line shallow amplitude +PNAP that's always in place farther south, that could be too tempting for the models to not drop the heights too far into Ontario.  Heights are cold enough in the D. Straight region, that there could be some positive counter-balance going on over the middle latitudes here in the E.

It's high but not shabby    1 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Wednesday
Snow showers likely, mainly after 11am. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 17. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. Southwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Thursday
A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 19. Southwest wind around 6 mph. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Thursday Night
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Friday
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 21. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
Friday Night
A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12. Blustery. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

All that snow in June is nuts. I know it's mt hood and maybe that's normal, but funny to see accumulations like that in summer.

Tippy and others... It looks like heat cancel the next 2-3 weeks at least. I wonder if most of Northeast dodges the heat all Summer!!!! "I think so" is a rational guess now.

It does?   ...seems a tad ambitious laying claims that run out that far into the future... but -

It will be a bit toasty in Phoenix this weekend…time to fry eggs on the pavement.  Good luck trying to find a single cloud too.  Daily high temp records will easily be broken on Sunday and Monday (the record for both days is 115, set in 1968).  The normal high is 105. 

Hottest days on record:

• 122 on 6/26/1990
  • 121 on 7/28/1995
  • 120 on 6/25/1990
  • 119 on 6/29/2013

Friday

Sunny, with a high near 106. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.

Friday Night

Clear, with a low around 79. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.

Saturday

Sunny and hot, with a high near 112. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.

Saturday Night

Clear, with a low around 84. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northeast after midnight.

Sunday

Sunny and hot, with a high near 120. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.

Sunday Night

Clear, with a low around 88. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Monday

Sunny and hot, with a high near 119. East wind around 5 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.

That 6/26/90 122 part of huge heat. LA experienced its hottest day on record at 112. PHX had to stop operations as the runways weren't long enough to support takeoffs. I remember being in a meeting in LA-a one hour meeting. Going in it may have been a tick or 2 under 100. Hot but meh by their standards. Coming out of the meeting I knew we had something special. Infernal! The next day a little Catalina eddy dropped the max about 30 degrees in LA.

18z now closing the low tucked toward the EC too - ...heh, only took 12 cycles.  

even the ukmet came around. 

it's safe to say it'll be there; the questions is what impact. 

Yup...looks like it'll be reality. Hopefully it digs its way off the coast of the Mid Atl and rots there until the next trough kicks it out. We could still end up with some pretty nice wx despite it coming to fruition.

Yup...looks like it'll be reality. Hopefully it digs its way off the coast of the Mid Atl and rots there until the next trough kicks it out. We could still end up with some pretty nice wx despite it coming to fruition.

funny you mentioned that ... i was thinking on the way to work (because i'm a nerd) ... that if the n-stream kick is legit in these runs (keeping in mind, that just 2 days ago .. we looked like we were heading for interminable heat ridging ) it will not allow that cut-off to tuck close enough to get us.   we end up COL'ed in a nice weather column.   in fact, several guidance' are really there already as of the overnight runs. 

meanwhile ... the Plains and SW ...man, i've seen some whopper heat wave ridges in my time... circa 1990...'95 ...2012..etc, but that's the most extreme i've ever seen in terms of pure geometric depth in the atmosphere.   whether the lower tropospheric conditions come into sync to where temperatures can maximize/take the ability to expand within that column remains to be seen, but that would support almost a scary hot scenario.  hopefully for their sake(s)...the lower tropospheric conditions do NOT come into sync ... oh they will some.  

i think there is also a baby elephant in the prognostic room, in how all that is happening early in June by summer standards and i think folks back east might have to deal with some of that ... we may very well get protected for the time being by the transient n-stream's trough migration through Ontario but then ... heh

Tossed. Little impact.

ha ah...  nice. 

well, in a sense, if you straight up blend those previous Euro solutions with the previous GFS, you get a closed weakness and associated paltry surface low ... but probably inconsequential other than fending off the heat..

well, here we are...  for now.  it's still not impossible that more or less takes place.   i think looking back at the past week's worth of that thing, what's really going on is kind of a wave-spacing issue in the models... there is a clear and coherent trough just west of the WC, and immediately downstream we have this climate-event ridging... the numbers add up in such a way that there should be a trough along 70 W - interesting

ha ah...  nice. 

well, in a sense, if you straight up blend those previous Euro solutions with the previous GFS, you get a closed weakness and associated paltry surface low ... but probably inconsequential other than fending off the heat..

well, here we are...  for now.  it's still not impossible that more or less takes place.   i think looking back at the past week's worth of that thing, what's really going on is kind of a wave-spacing issue in the models... there is a clear and coherent trough just west of the WC, and immediately downstream we have this climate-event ridging... the numbers add up in such a way that there should be a trough along 70 W - interesting

I like your thought about the "summer of the phantom ridge"  LOL...just never materializes even in the face of good model agreement 7-10 days out. It will eventually...but man...persistence FTW.

Archived