joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #3 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it shaved off about .5" for almost everyone. I guess that's to be expected getting closer to onset though.

Meh I'm sure there's reasons DC hasn't gotten a 30" snowstorm in the last 100+ years. I think forecasting the potential for a foot or more is the proper call at this point. Still 48 hrs out.

looks a little more realistic than the GFS fun zone distribution of qpf

Agree.  More even distribution and slightly lower QPF numbers make this storm look much more normal...for a classic top-10 all time HECS for the DC area.  This actually makes me more confident that we won't bust.  I really buy into this Euro solution. 

keep in mind 11-12:1 is probable, and ratios in bands will be higher...if we get a fairly even dist of 1.7-2" QPF, widespread 18-24" is likely with localized 30"+

Agree totally. There're going to be some little jacks embedded in the deform band for sure. Personally, I love the run. Makes complete sense and the #'s are believable. We seem to be in an usually good spot for this storm from start to finish. Pretty amazing really. 

Euro moves the front side stuff in somewhere around sunset but doesn't really get cranking until the middle of the night. We could do better on the front than what is being depicted but total speculation and don't really care either way. 

Euro has not had the lead on this storm imho so maybe we look harder at other models for now. Plenty of time for things to shift.

I would use a Euro/GGEM combo right now, though GGEM maybe is going a little nuts with banding....Euro had one wonky run 24 hours ago....to me it in no way impacts how much we weight it now...I am placing very little weight on the GFS...it gives me 3', and screws areas like OKV and MRB because they get dryslotted...

The EURO shows the surface low moving ENE from the VA tidewater.

So...the low isn't going to hug the coast for 12 hours?

I found that to be an interesting part of this run. It's similar to the 1996 blizzard in the way it transfers, but I would like to think it sticks around just a tiny bit longer than what the Euro is showing, but it's a good stall nonetheless.

The 3" QPF totals from some of the extreme runs could certainly be too high. I think this most recent run of the Euro is very realistic given the type of storm we are dealing with. We don't have to get a Washington/Jefferson-like storm for it to be memorable, historic, major. 

Blizzard conditions and a crap ton of snow seem like a lock at this point. If I'm shoveling 18-22 inches of snow on Saturday PM and Sunday I will be in heaven. 

That Euro run should definitely settle any fears that folks had...sure it's not "widespread 30 inch totals" but it is still a massive storm. 

Archived