SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #3 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The really weird thing about the NAM this time is the crazy totals being spit out have already appeared on both the euro and gfs ops. 

If I was forecasting right now, I'd probably go for a general 1.7-2.1 for DC Metro with higher amounts and higher ratios in bands.  A general 16-24" seems like a good forecast for us. I'd probably put a swath of 24-30" somewhere south of a JYO - IAD line..of course there could be a sick total somewhere...

Last time it probably means anything...euro ens backed off a touch on mean precip south of DCA but increased the 1.6"/1.8" contours northward. 1" line moved farther into PA. Folks to our N will like this trend. 

Mean snowfall is 14-20" for everyone. 

Ahh, the inevitable creep north. Notice too how the NAM has just moved the crazy accumulations a bit north too. Should give the guys in ENE some hope.

If I was forecasting right now, I'd probably go for a general 1.7-2.1 for DC Metro with higher amounts and higher ratios in bands.  A general 16-24" seems like a good forecast for us. I'd probably put a swath of 24-30" somewhere south of a JYO - IAD line..of course there could be a sick total somewhere...

Hard to argue a single thing there. Parrs area should get a little help from orographics during the deform too. But that doesn't mean they jack. Seems like the highest totals might be in VA this time. I'm not sure how different 20" vs 24" vs 30" will feel when winds are gusting into the 40's. It's all going to look the same outside. Well, if you can see anything outside. lol

It started early on though in the NAMs wheelhouse. You could already see much more energy on the back side of the trough by hour 24. Once that energy rounded the base and fully wrapped in it went BOOM

That's good, right - because while 70hrs might not be NAM wheelhouse, 24 is supposed to be...

Archived