• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #3 - No Banter

stormtracker

I would not trust this, but it breaks the individual days into two parts Friday/Friday night, and same for Saturday. It totals like 19 to 26 inches. 

Sorry, I missed that.  I also see something similar for DC on their parent company's website (Weather Channel): Around in inch Friday during the day, 8-12 inches Friday evening, 5-8 inches Saturday during the day, and 5-8 inches Saturday evening. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree...WAA front end thumps like we got in 1996 and 2003 are money in the bank.  Not a lot of risk that goes wrong.  But as the models have shifted towards less of a primary low up west of the apps into Tenn and a quicker secondary taking over along the coast down towards the SC/GA coast versus eastern NC, that shuts off the WAA spike much sooner.  Once that happens we rely on the ccb and deform with the coastal, a much more complicated thing for the models to nail down.  Thats why we have started to see more shifting around with the qpf maxes run to run the last day or two then we did before that.  I am NOT being a downer at all, right now the coastal track and where it gets captured is perfect for our area to get a historic storm anyways, but it does raise the bust potential on truly epic totals verifying. 

Good post. These types of thoughts are exactly why people shouldn't be expecting a high probability of breaking records. It's never as simple and easy as it seems and almost all storms have tricks up their sleeves (for better or for worse). There's a reason why the types of accums the models are spitting out are incredibly rare for a single storm. Hitting all 8 cylinders just right isn't common. 

The bullseyes of snow that some of these models are spitting out don't make sense to me. I could see a band being an area of heavier totals, but not a circle. Doesn't matter one bit, especially this far out, but it interests me why it does that.

I'm guessing it's something of a resolution effect but not 100% sure. The globals know some funky banding action is going to happen but it gets washed out at their resolution. Maybe.

I'm guessing it's something of a resolution effect but not 100% sure. The globals know some funky banding action is going to happen but it gets washed out at their resolution. Maybe.

I think the enhancement is real its just poorly handled particularly by GFS. That blob keeps happening near tip of 700mb low.. About where you should see enhancement but 1.5-2" in 6 hours in a circle seems unlikely. Of course it does make the snow maps more fun..

I think the enhancement is real its just poorly handled particularly by GFS. That blob keeps happening near tip of 700mb low.. About where you should see enhancement but 1.5-2" in 6 hours in a circle seems unlikely. Of course it does make the snow maps more fun..

Yeah. Euro has hinted at this. This may be a place for the nam to help...around its 18Z run Friday.

If you go back and look at the radar loop for the feb 2013 blizzard in sne there was a hellacious convective band that dropped rates up to 8"/hr over parts of CT also near the tip of the 700 mb low. It was not a bullseye of qpf but i wouldn't be surprised if a similar type band sets up in the area you mention. Whoever gets into that band will probably be the lollipop that pushes accumulation over 30".

some just never learn

I know its not a big deal and I understand where mixing usually occurs. I was asking about the GFS not showing mixing for us folks between 95 and the bay. Wes commented that it didn't show mixing even for him. I was just asking ers if this is a possibility. But it looks like he says I will still mix which is fine. I don't always mix during big storms. Didn't happen in 09 or 10.

Archived