joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #3 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares if there was no blizzard watch before. We've had blizzard warnings. Judgment calls aren't records and models are way better today.

it was either a watch or a warning.  i didn't know that was the discussion.  i know a special weather statement went out that wednesday, but don't remember exactly when the first watches/warnings were hoisted.

I wonder what ers-wxman1 thinks of the GFS showing no mixing for even Wes down in Calvert County. If Wes isn't mixing then I'm not going to mix.

Mixing is just something we talk about like sun angle. Plenty of big storms we don't mix

MUch colder run than the NAM. No mix problems even for me.  Great banding which won't be in the right place. 

I'm not sure I buy into this idea of this big GFS transfer and dry slot....I don't think the QPF distribution and amounts are to be taken too seriously....I know the Euro had the wonky run yesterday afternoon, but last night's run makes more sense.....I think the QPF distribution on the 0zEPS/6zGEFS/0zCMCENS makes more sense...where Shenandoah/NW VA does much better

I'm not sure I buy into this idea of this big GFS transfer and dry slot....I don't think the QPF distribution and amounts are to be taken too seriously....I know the Euro had the wonky run yesterday afternoon, but last night's run makes more sense.....I think the QPF distribution on the 0zEPS/6zGEFS/0zCMCENS makes more sense...where Shenandoah/NW VA does much better

This ^...agree that area has best chance for 3'

Mixing is just something we talk about like sun angle. Plenty of big storms we don't mix

Yeah I know. I would mix before you guys in DC. He has just been harping on mixing east of 95. I was just wondering what he thought of this run since it did not show mixing east of 95 to the bay.

GFS seems to do this a lot with precip with intensifying storms. I think just looking at a blend of track and evolution like you said makes much more sense too. 

It is really hard to take that dot over DC seriously.  The whole trough never goes negative and barely even neutral.  BOS is shut out.

GFS seems to do this a lot with precip with intensifying storms. I think just looking at a blend of track and evolution like you said makes much more sense too. 

I don't think it is a very good run...Last night's run made more sense....

Feels strange to say that I have a 30"+ contour over my house, and I don't really like this run that much.

It bothers me a little that the storm seems to be changing from a front-end thump with a back side bomb to a wound up single low requiring tricky placement of a deform band. Outside that band most folks will get like a foot or so according to the GFS. The big totals are becoming more restricted on these runs.

Archived