• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

Outside of what little interest exist in this room, the Euro solution is a non solution. We are at the point that if the GFS were going to Cave toward the euro I think we would've seen an indicator by now. Not saying i would dismiss the euro I'm just going to remain extremely reserved regarding our chances of seeing a significant snowfall in central North Carolina. I would love a 20 inch block buster as much as anyone but this is starting to look like a very wet Friday with maybe a couple of token inches on the backend.

If you're going to tell us you dont like the euro solution, you're going to need to present reasoning.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like some think that run of the Euro was worse for the Triangle, even though the totals on the ensembles look bigger for snow. And RAH is making it sound like it is going to be mostly freezing rain and rain. What's the deal?

The ensemble mean for snow in Raleigh was worse with the new 00z than the 12z yesterday. Whoever you're getting that information from is wrong.

Which is a little surprising. Almost all the locations in the CLT metro jumped higher this run.

RDU is just a crucial area with any storm, the closer this low is to the coast the worse for RDU and a bit better for CLT. Needs to track south and off of HAT.

If you're going to tell us you dont like the euro solution, you're going to need to present reasoning.

This.  ^

Let's not forget as well, the EPS is very similar to the OP run.  I saw a talk at AMS last week in New Orleans that said the EPS outperformed all other models at 48 hours.  That's today.  I have no reason to go against 52 members of the Euro at this point, given the depth of the trough and how it classically transfers the energy to the coast.  

That being said, the GFS is not quickly heading in that direction, despite its GEFS members trying to do so.  I absolutely think Euro (EPS) is onto something.

Here is the latest breakdown for my area(Hickory NC and Points West):

Just a side note to make the images bigger just right click and select view image. :)

Hickory NC Precipitation Breakdown:

Snow Total: 3.6 inches

Freezing Rain Total: 0.30 inches

hky.png

Morganton NC Precipitation Breakdown:

Snow Total: 6.2 inches

Freezing Rain Total: 0.22 inches

morganton.png

Valdese NC Precipitation Breakdown:

Snow Total: 4.7 inches

Freezing Rain Total: 0.22 inches

valdese.png

And Here Are The Sref Plumes For Hickory NC (Including Snow and QPF):

hickory_snow.png

hickory_qpf.png

On a side note the SREF mean for snow for HKY is 4.05 inches.

And the SREF mean for QPF for HKY is 1.67 inches.

Guys catch me up about NE Georgia

And upstate SC. Ice Storm? Can't access EURO.

Some mixing to rain to back end snow. Depending where you are the back end snow may leap frog you on the lee side (parts of the upstate and ne ga). Right now it's anyone's guess for our area. Only areas I'd feel confident on being a huge hit would be NW NC and surrounding and due north of there.

I want to know why people prefer the Euro, especially the EPS low locations. The 06z GEFS has a line of low locations along the coast of NC, essentially along the OBX. While the 00z EPS has lows way inland and the majority of them in tech coastal plains. Keep in mind I'm not talking about ULL placement or the S/W...just talking about the surface low track.

Some mixing to rain to back end snow. Depending where you are the back end snow may leap frog you on the lee side (parts of the upstate and ne ga). Right now it's anyone's guess for our area. Only areas I'd feel confident on being a huge hit would be NW NC and surrounding and due north of there.

FYI, all of the models have us getting colder throughout the day on Friday as the event unfolds. There won't be a switch back to rain in this event. If anything, it will be how soon can we switch from rain over to sleet/freezing and then possibly snow.

I want to know why people prefer the Euro, especially the EPS low locations. The 06z GEFS has a line of low locations along the coast of NC, essentially along the OBX. While the 00z EPS has lows way inland and the majority of them in tech coastal plains. Keep in mind I'm not talking about ULL placement or the S/W...just talking about the surface low track.

Yeah I agree with Jon, it (EURO) looks more West and will cause mixing issues for everyone outside the mtn areas.

It must be the pink colors on the snow output, because I don't get it either. Systems rolling inland will screw a lot of people in the SE....I don't care what the snow maps show.

This.  Regardless of ull track or phasing etc, the inland or extreme coastal track is pretty rough for all east of I77 for the most part..  Surely want to avoid .91 zr in the Triangle, can tell you that.  Safer to get more of a rain signal then.

For Hickory, the 06Z GFS and the 06Z NAM both raise the modeled QPF and modeled snowfall as compared to their 00Z counterparts.  The big difference between the two models is what they do with the ice totals:  The most recent NAM sees a much shallower warm nose and prints out close to an inch's worth of QPF in the form of sleet, while the most recent GFS sees almost half an inch of freezing rain.

New Video(6:52am) from Bernie Rayno:

http://videowall.accuweather.com/detail/videos/trending-now/video/90462062001/major-snowstorm-bears-down-on?autoStart=true&utm_source=accuweather&utm_medium=accuweather&utm_campaign=awx_videowal_lin

According to there(Accuweather) snow map just west of CLT gets 1-3 inches of snow then the Foothills get 3-6 inches of snow and finally the Mountains get 6-12+ inches of snow.

Well, I was going to have mixing issues anyways so you might as well just give me an ice storm.

woke up to see the euro ensemble mean coming in looking very much like the operational run...just a tick slower in closing off the upper low but does so over alabama by 66 hours... pretty much the same with the surface low track through 78 hours. precip/thermal profiles look similar

pretty crazy agreement.

For Hickory, the 06Z GFS and the 06Z NAM both raise the modeled QPF and modeled snowfall as compared to their 00Z counterparts. The big difference between the two models is what they do with the ice totals: The most recent NAM sees a much shallower warm nose and prints out close to an inch's worth of QPF in the form of sleet, while the most recent GFS sees almost half an inch of freezing rain.

Great post. The nam also is cooler at the 850 level for my area by almost .5 degrees during the heaviest time of the storm .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived