joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@51 GFS is MUCH colder with 850's. Goes back to yesterday that the models underestimate the cad. Big storm incoming

Edit: I was actually viewing 2m temps but upstairs it is very cold.

Just looking at hour 54 and it now has the 850 running right along the NC/VA boarder. That was up into S. VA on the 6z. This is critical for areas "on the line".

I'm pretty sure the GFS was colder aloft for the northeast Piedmont. It also did not warm us up at surface as much as the NAM. Models are are converging on a front end thump of snow transitioning to sleet:freezing rain for central NC. I'll take it. Deformation band still in play too.

Also, the storm tracks a little farther east than the 6z and especially the 0z.  Need that shifting to continue.

yea, verbatim a quick snow then to frz rain or sleet and then it changes to rain before going back to snow.  another shift e and we see that backend snow come in much earlier resulting in less ice and more snow accums.  wonder if the gefs will come in further e as well.

This is definitely a storm you should be paying attention to. The first person i thought of that would get slammed was you lol.

lol i certainly am now - earlier this week it had looked like n ga was going to  miss out with a dumping just to our north and east.  so i was watching for today (which is so far a no go :axe: )

the wedge showing up certainly is starting to look formidable around ne ga - and a lot of moisture. even better is its coming up fast, and not days away!

it will be interesting to see if we can start out as a little snow before going to ice - i havent seen anything modeled this close like this in quite a while for the cad areas

lol i certainly am now - earlier this week it had looked like n ga was going to  miss out with a dumping just to our north and east.  so i was watching for today (which is so far a no go :axe: )

the wedge showing up certainly is starting to look formidable around ne ga - and a lot of moisture. even better is its coming up fast, and not days away!

it will be interesting to see if we can start out as a little snow before going to ice - i havent seen anything modeled this close like this in quite a while for the cad areas

Don't lose hope, the Euro ensembles last night gave you some snow.....

For the last day we've been watching to see if the GFS would cave to the euro. It never did cave, but it did continuously trend SE with each model run. At this point I'm not sure how much more trending it can do. Big question now is does the euro cave to the GFS or does it slightly trend in its direction. So maybe tonight they come together through trends (basically meeting in the middle).     

Don't lose hope, the Euro ensembles last night gave you some snow.....

yeah he might just get lucky... the 12z canadian has such a dynamical system it goes over to snow for the northeast corner by 12z friday. some impressive wedging on the east side of the mountains for sure.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_9.png

For the last day we've been watching to see if the GFS would cave to the euro. It never did cave, but it did continuously trend SE with each model run. At this point I'm not sure how much more trending it can do. Big question now is does the euro cave to the GFS or does it slightly trend in its direction. So maybe tonight they come together through trends (basically meeting in the middle).

It caved at 5 h cause it was shooting primary up into ky.

Archived