• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

Interesting to look at meteograms for CLT and Shelby for the 12z NAM vs. 6z -- actually warmed up at the surface (although it didn't look like it on the maps). I assume this is because of the NAM's more substantial WAA on the 12z run??? CLT is actually above freezing at 2m for the first HALF of the precip. Similar case in Shelby. Obviously the good news is the backside thump of snow.

I dont buy that skip, especially if we start off as snow and bottom out around 28 or 29 and this not being an in-situ CAD. Maybe further east but not in the immediate metro from Charlotte to Shelby. 

That nam has 1.25 freezing rain or sleet charlotte. Lord I hope that's sleet and not frzng rain. Soundings will tell in a minute

On the 12k NAM, I have KCLT dropping just below freezing at 5am Friday. The near-SFC freezing layer stays at least 2500-3k feet deep throughout the event, so supercooled droplets that freeze easily. Literally shows 1.11" ZR.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Canadian is coming in a little further south, and colder.

canadian is somewhere in between the euro and gfs..it actually starts pretty far south looking like the euro with the 500mb low before suddenly turning it northeast at the last moment instead of east.

On the 12k NAM, I have KCLT dropping just below freezing at 5am Friday. The near-SFC freezing layer stays at least 2500-3k feet deep throughout the event, so supercooled droplets that freeze easily. Literally shows 1.11" ZR.

That would be a total disaster for the CLT metro area....especially if we have some snow on the backend to really weigh everything down. 

yeah he might just get lucky... the 12z canadian has such a dynamical system it goes over to snow for the northeast corner by 12z friday. some impressive wedging on the east side of the mountains for sure.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_9.png

I think you are right...Lake Lanier and points NE are gonna get lit up by a very nasty ice storm. maybe some snow mixed in there.  GFS looks clueless with 2m, NAM is trying, EURO and CMC look rock solid on it.

canadian is somewhere in between the euro and gfs..it actually starts pretty far south looking like the euro with the 500mb low before suddenly turning it northeast at the last moment instead of east.

looks very cold at 2m....GFS not seeing the wedging...likely an error...EURO looks cold, and we know how it is with 2m temps in wedging events.

The 12 GEFS looks beautiful to me.  Almost looks like a Miller A tracking across instead of reforming.  Anyway it's a tick further south earlier on and a bit quicker to get to the coast.  It's noticeably colder at both the surface and especially 850.  It looks to keep the NW Triad below 0 at 850 for the duration (it's close anyway).

Archived