joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this NAM run is too warm/far north based on last night's Euro ensemble and this AM's RGEM. So no point really in getting too much into details. This afternoon's Euro and GFS will hopefully still be more south.....

really need the gfs to make a move here in a few mins.  if it hold serve then it will be a huge difference in solutions <48hrs from the start of the storm.

Calc is this all snow clown or does it get diluted with ice

The short answer is, "I'm not sure."  It's from Tropical Tidbits site, and I don't know exactly how they parse the data.

That looks like it includes ice....

It may very well do so, especially after comparing to the maps that you posted with snow and freezing rain separately.

I think this NAM run is too warm/far north based on last night's Euro ensemble and this AM's RGEM. So no point really in getting too much into details. This afternoon's Euro and GFS will hopefully still be more south.....

We really need that 500 mb low to dig as far south as possible, then hope it takes an eastern route here in Atlanta.

i haven't been paying a lot of attention to this storm after it appeared n ga was in the screw zone. however, it has my attention now - as cold as it has been if we can get some good ne winds to keep the temps down there could be some decent icing here.  we havent had any big cad events for a while and this one is looking like we may get one.  this looks like the type of storm that is great for the classic ne ga cad areas

This is definitely a storm you should be paying attention to. The first person i thought of that would get slammed was you lol.

Dude, you and I both know how it never fails, when the CAD is modeled like it currently is, the models never handle the low level temps.  This has trouble written all over it if the trend continues.  I will go out on a limb and say that Athens, Winder, Dacula, Lawrenceville would all be in on the act.  Also, any more movement south and I would almost guarantee it.  Verbatim, no, but the CAD always out performs the modeling of that signature. 

The thing is, if we had some low dewpoints out ahead of this system..there would be little doubt this would be a monster ice storm for many in ga. However, this is going to be as a result of cold air advection right before and as the storm is happening..which is why i follow closer to the model output instead  subtracting several degrees off like i would if we could get some evaporational cooling to start. I think one could subtract one or two degrees at the most off of current projections but that's about it. Currently as projected on the nam,  elevations as mentioned earlier would be in the game but places like gainesville proper are likely to be right at 32.5 or 33. That said, the trend is ever so slightly colder/stronger with the cad so much more at all and freezing temps will make it into the lower elevations of these areas like gainesville proper.

I agree Lookout... Im not sure that the cad sig will not shift a little to the southeast to catch more the anderson/hartwell/ to gainesville. This reasoning is all based off history here. 

We'll need to see the wedge strengthen some more.  I was thinking earlier that i85 roughly would be the dividing line for any significant icing possibilities..however the rgem is coming in colder..implying freezing temps from anderson to greenwood to even columbia by 48 hours. It certainly would not take much at all for a much more widespread ice storm if the rgem is right.

I wouldn't think so either, but a little disconcerting that the usually CAD-savvy NAM is cutting it so close.

Man, really rooting for y'all down here -- love that you are in a "friendlier" spot for winter weather.

The orientation of the 32 degree isotherm looks off the way it actually noses further south off to the east rather than right up against the eastern slopes. I'm conflicted though because that much frz rain would make my shifts at KCLT an absolute nightmare.

If you notice at 30 tho, that spoke of energy that was in northern Missouri is now progged to be on the border of Oklahoma. That has allowed it to dig down further into Texas hopefully to set up a low further south than 6z

39 the slp placement looks nearly identical to 06z. lets see where the slp reforms

gfs does show a little more initial precip as snow in much of nc like the 12z nam did.

Agreed. @45 there is much more precip out ahead of the ULL just as depicted by the nam, except GFS to me looks much colder with the 850s. Big run coming for NC once again it looks like. ULL about identical @45

Archived