Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

someone i know with an effing doctorate in education posted this tripe on facebook:

"6-12 inches of snow "boosted" to 20-25 seems a bit off. If teachers were evaluated in the same way as weather experts, only 50% of students would need to pass state tests."

67 likes. i could kill someone

someone i know with an effing doctorate in education posted this tripe on facebook:

"6-12 inches of snow "boosted" to 20-25 seems a bit off. If teachers were evaluated in the same way as weather experts, only 50% of students would need to pass state tests."

67 likes. i could kill someone

Lol....

We'll give the same evaluation to teachers when they start making predictions on a chaotic and non-static entity.

Western Mass, NW CT, and Eastern NY are sooo overdue for a nice amped up coastal hugger where the CP gets a slushy inch and flips to rain , I get maybe 5-6 with IP/ZR, and they jack at 12-18+.

Hard to say what overdue is though. We have been in a pattern that has favored E & SE NE for a few years now. Could be a few more years to go or 10 years, who knows?

Trust me, I feel your pain as do all the areas you mentioned. Don't forget S VT and SW NH. Multi-year, major snowstorm drought continues there as well.

Big snows have been hitting parts of SNE where big populations are so the majority of folks think everyone has been getting it.

I work in the Boston area one day a week and you have no idea how many Boston area people last year said to me: "you must have really gotten buried in W MA if we got so much snow here". Yeah, nope.

Hard to say what overdue is though. We have been in a pattern that has favored E & SE NE for a few years now. Could be a few more years to go or 10 years, who knows?

Trust me, I feel your pain as do all the areas you mentioned. Don't forget S VT and SW NH. Multi-year, major snowstorm drought continues there as well.

Big snows have been hitting parts of SNE where big populations are so the majority of folks think everyone has been getting it.

I work in the Boston area one day a week and you have no idea how many Boston area people last year said to me: "you must have really gotten buried in W MA if we got so much snow here". Yeah, nope.

The longer and longer the snow drought goes the more impressive it gets.

For even Jay Peak to be under 100" on the season heading towards Feb 1, and Maryland to get more snow in one storm than Killington has received at 3-4,000ft from Oct-Jan, is absolutely amazing.

The longer and longer the snow drought goes the more impressive it gets.

For even Jay Peak to be under 100" on the season heading towards Feb 1, and Maryland to get more snow in one storm than Killington has received at 3-4,000ft from Oct-Jan, is absolutely amazing.

there are low elevation spots in Va with more snow this year than JSPIN now thats incredible

there are low elevation spots in Va with more snow this year than JSPIN now thats incredible

I think Killington at 4,000ft is much more incredible, lol.  I mean really think about that. 

I had similar snowfall through early December last winter than I do through mid January this year.

Nice to see you acknowledge the awful winter though, haha.  Usually you are trying to convince us its "not that bad."

Eh. Part of this is years of pent-up frustration from having an airport whose site conditions aren't necessarily representative of regional snowfall. WNY folks complain about the snowfall measurements at KROC as well. On the other hand, KSYR is sited in an area that gets far more snowfall than the rest of the Syracuse metro. There's gonna be some level of arbitrariness to siting no matter what. It sucks that the official measure at DCA for the 1/23 storm is going to be off by some indeterminate amount, but it's sheer weeniedom to generalize that unique and somewhat understandable mishap to bash the long term climate record.

Eh. Part of this is years of pent-up frustration from having an airport whose site conditions aren't necessarily representative of regional snowfall. WNY folks complain about the snowfall measurements at KROC as well. On the other hand, KSYR is sited in an area that gets far more snowfall than the rest of the Syracuse metro. There's gonna be some level of arbitrariness to siting no matter what. It sucks that the official measure at DCA for the 1/23 storm is going to be off by some indeterminate amount, but it's sheer weeniedom to generalize that unique and somewhat understandable mishap to bash the long term climate record.

Yeah, it seems like there are at least a couple of sources of frustration being expressed in that thread.  One of which is, as you pointed out, the measuring site.  The other is defensiveness, or at least perceived defensiveness on the part of those responsible for making said measurements.

One thing is for certain, snowfall measurements evoke passionate discussions! lol

Yeah, it seems like there are at least a couple of sources of frustration being expressed in that thread.  One of which is, as you pointed out, the measuring site.  The other is defensiveness, or at least perceived defensiveness on the part of those responsible for making said measurements.

One thing is for certain, snowfall measurements evoke passionate discussions! lol

I think the arguments about siting and whether it should represent DC are bogus.

People always think their backyard is hotter, colder, wetter, drier, windier, etc. than wherever their local official site is. You have to pick some location to be the official site.

Now there is something to be said about the poor job of snow measurements. I mean they are contracted to do it a certain way, so do it right. I'm confused how you lose your snow board when you knew all that snow was coming. I know we've lost snow boards before at GYX and DVN, and you just take a few stabs through the snow like you're looking for an avalanche survivor until you find it again. Or use flags to mark it.

No wonder the FAA is considering dropping the program.

Archived