Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ocean State ,Eck, Will, lol found this gem from the epic blizzard in Jan, of course they got nailed later but for a couple of frames that magic hole was there. If you could go back and compare all the upper air and lower air winds at the time of these holes I bet you would find the reason.

Last Jan?

Hard to tell on the SPC national sector mesoanalysis archive but it look like roughly 45-50 knots from about 50 degrees over RI at 07z (matching that radar image)

Here was the 00z CHH sounding from 2015.

post-44-0-68541200-1453820284_thumb.gif

And 00z from the last event.

post-44-0-53791300-1453820420_thumb.gif

The week folloeing was solid holding in the pack and then big rainstorm/melt job the following weekend.

Yeah it was about a week after the blizzard when it turned really warm in '96. The end of that warm week culminated in the epic cutter.

The final two weeks of January '96....pretty much an all out catastrophe. I wish I could erase it from my memory. About as horrific as one can imagine. At least the cutters were legit screaming sou'easters.

SE MA had severe thunderstorm warnings in the first one on Jan 19th I think it was.

As great as that winter was, the was one brutal 2 week stretch...it always puts a taint on that winter when I remember it. There was actually another decent torch that winter too during Feb vacation break. It wasn't nearly as bad as the Jan torch period, but it was pretty brutal for 4 or 5 days. It re-melted all the snowpack from the first half of February in eastern MA...we didn't melt out in ORH, but we lost most of the "new" snow (we had survived the Jan torch with about 8-10" of a glacier)

SE MA had severe thunderstorm warnings in the first one on Jan 19th I think it was.

As great as that winter was, the was one brutal 2 week stretch...it always puts a taint on that winter when I remember it. There was actually another decent torch that winter too during Feb vacation break. It wasn't nearly as bad as the Jan torch period, but it was pretty brutal for 4 or 5 days. It re-melted all the snowpack from the first half of February in eastern MA...we didn't melt out in ORH, but we lost most of the "new" snow (we had survived the Jan torch with about 8-10" of a glacier)

Feb 96 was the meh month of the winter

It was brutal. And yeah, we did have SVRs out. There was some thunder. The winds were really remarkable though. Despite the snowpack and what you would think to be as limited mixing, we had some wind damage for sure. I was at Mt Snow for the second cutter. Water skiing was more like it.

I'll tell you what pissed me off...the 2/15 (I think) storm that basically became a Berkshire deformation band, with dryslot crap in the east after several inches.

That was a big bust...forecasted 12-18" and we got like 6-7". Mostly from the front end wall of S+.

There was kind of a wide zone on the south shore that got 18"+ from OES during that with a jackpot in south weymouth of aorund 2 feet...it was ripping there while it had almost stopped snowing over most of central and eastern MA.

Archived