Newest Member
    joxey
Fall foliage thread

Ginx snewx

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Something's going on though.  Perhaps related to a dry summer?  

I dunno, but I noticed the same thing last year too. In fact I recall discussion about it.  

I was out running errands and was noticing that the richer green hues of summer are polluted now with baby-poop beige and some browns mixing in.  Many trees along Rt 2 in northern Mass are going more directly to this state, then any anything resembling chlorophyll withdraw exposing other colors.  It was very noticeable last year and it appears to be getting going again now.   

On a somewhat related note...

Lisa got her first pumpkin coffee from DD today. Summer is over.

Related to that, Shipyard Pumpkinhead is in stores.

C'est la vie, summah

saw the first flock of geese heading south this morning...about a week and a half later than last year

Something's going on though. Perhaps related to a dry summer?

I dunno, but I noticed the same thing last year too. In fact I recall discussion about it.

I was out running errands and was noticing that the richer green hues of summer are polluted now with baby-poop beige and some browns mixing in. Many trees along Rt 2 in northern Mass are going more directly to this state, then any anything resembling chlorophyll withdraw exposing other colors. It was very noticeable last year and it appears to be getting going again now.

I get what you're saying. I've noticed a change but couldn't really describe what it is. Definitely lost the lush green summer look for sure.

The end of summer usually features dull greens and the first signs of turning from stressed trees though. Nothing unusual. West Chestfield MA already had its first rake of the year.

No... you're not understanding.  I'm not talking about that type of change.  These are whole trees of differing species with green fading to beige/brown dude. 

That's different than "early turning" - in fact, as I said, turning is less the characteristic, sick tree of not.  These are ..zombie beige-green-brown grove after grove of trees over large areas. 

Maybe there's some disease in the area?  I'd buy that, but these are not "turning" anything other then an allusion to death-shroud 

No... you're not understanding.  I'm not talking about that type of change.  These are whole trees of differing species with green fading to beige/brown dude. 

That's different than "early turning" - in fact, as I said, turning is less the characteristic, sick tree of not.  These are ..zombie beige-green-brown grove after grove of trees over large areas. 

Maybe there's some disease in the area?  I'd buy that, but these are not "turning" anything other then an allusion to death-shroud 

Norway Maples do that...those are a disaster of a tree, and actually an invasive specie...

• 2 weeks later...

Visible signs of color change on RT 2 east of Hartford near Glastonbury, Marlborough. Mainly smaller trees that are on cliff sides near the road with fairly vibrant yellows and oranges in a couple of spots. Also noticed some pretty brown and dead looking foliage in a few areas near Meriden, Wallingford, Middletown area on interstate 91.

Brown no matter where you look. Maples around here that typically are bright red, are faded brown/ tan/ yellow edges

lol....you say that every year no matter what.  Last year was an awesome year and you still said it was brown and dull.  I think you're color blind.

I remember a year back in the 80s when I was at Lyndon where we had a very mild fall and you could peak foliage all the way from Connecticut to northern Vermont.  It was really unusual.  We had mild temps and a lack of any big storms to blow or wash the leaves away.  The leaves will change based on temperature and available sunshine and if it stays mild, we might see that again.

Last year was only a little farther along than this one, then the effects of 4 subfreezing mornings kicked in and the mountains went from low to peak to major leaf drop in little more than a week.  Leaves around here look tired, not unusual just prior to color but it seems more obvious this year.  Though we're BN for rain this month, the growing season precip has been fine thru met summer, so I'm not seeing the drought yellows that were so obvious 3 weeks ago on thin-soil sites in NJ and SNY.

Last year was only a little farther along than this one, then the effects of 4 subfreezing mornings kicked in and the mountains went from low to peak to major leaf drop in little more than a week. Leaves around here look tired, not unusual just prior to color but it seems more obvious this year. Though we're BN for rain this month, the growing season precip has been fine thru met summer, so I'm not seeing the drought yellows that were so obvious 3 weeks ago on thin-soil sites in NJ and SNY.

With all the drought yellows and Browns all over CT and RI... Can we expect the whole fall to be like that with no rain ? After the dry May July and Aug?

Last year was only a little farther along than this one, then the effects of 4 subfreezing mornings kicked in and the mountains went from low to peak to major leaf drop in little more than a week.  Leaves around here look tired, not unusual just prior to color but it seems more obvious this year.  Though we're BN for rain this month, the growing season precip has been fine thru met summer, so I'm not seeing the drought yellows that were so obvious 3 weeks ago on thin-soil sites in NJ and SNY.

That's what I'm noticing.  There's color showing up in the mountains but its nothing worth noting or even taking photos of yet. 

Its still very early in the leaf turning process this season up here in the northern Greens.  I'm guessing the +8 temperature departures so far this month in both the valleys and summits, is having something to do with it.  Like Mount Mansfield/MMNV1 has 10 days to get to 32F or below, or it will set its all-time late freeze record in the past 60 years.

That's what I'm noticing.  There's color showing up in the mountains but its nothing worth noting or even taking photos of yet. 

Its still very early in the leaf turning process this season up here in the northern Greens.  I'm guessing the +8 temperature departures so far this month in both the valleys and summits, is having something to do with it.  Like Mount Mansfield/MMNV1 has 10 days to get to 32F or below, or it will set its all-time late freeze record in the past 60 years.

Umm, yea, I would say so.

I'm heading up to BTV Wed-Fri, so will be curious to see the color variance going from SVT up to NVT, if there is any.

Archived