joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall foliage thread

Ginx snewx

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the maples are starting to look good but definitely dull for some other speices. Lincoln Gap is browned out this year:

Here are some of my best shots for 2015 so far:

12144823_10102905467466819_1301728877597

12049579_10102902943065739_4904919693341

12074805_10102902941618639_3398397019485

12079586_10102905168041869_4903839608881

12107943_10102905165227509_7795507201388

The last two are lit by a setting sun so they look extra vibrant because of that.

Yeah the maples are starting to look good but definitely dull for some other speices. Lincoln Gap is browned out this year:

Here are some of my best shots for 2015 so far:

The last two are lit by a setting sun so they look extra vibrant because of that.

Nice.  I should have posted this in this thread yesterday.  My bad.

Fall 2015 now brought to you in Technicolor in GC.

Ugly, bland and past peak foliage color in Southern Vermont:

Date: October 4th, 2015

I started the day with a drive to Mt Greylock in Massachusetts with so/so foliage conditions and a lot of green foliage below 2,500'. We continued onto route 7 North to Bennington, which is primarily green with about 15% color change. Turning onto route 9 to head home I was not optimistic about finding a lot of fall foliage color, but that all changed once we gained elevation and continued past Woodford. The foliage became vibrant with tons of red color, not my favorite, but rare so far this year in Vermont.

Turning onto Vermont National Forest 71, we where met with an abundance of vibrant red, yellow and orange coloring, especially on non Oak covered hillsides.

711_zpsn2dkqi1p.jpg

712_zpsbjrrlpac.jpg

713_zpsmpkmgl1j.jpg

Took a 100 mile day trip from my place in Central NH west to Quichee VT and then north along the river to Fairlee VT and then back to Plymouth NH.   Color seemed bland and only maybe 25% of the leaves have changed.  It didn't help that once I went west of the Central NH highlands I went from 100% clear skies to cloudy conditions.  Seems like the change is behind schedule and fairly  blah in the area I was.   Could change really quickly but I would put Central NH and East Central VT  outside of the mountainous area still in low color not moderate color.  

Took a 100 mile day trip from my place in Central NH west to Quichee VT and then north along the river to Fairlee VT and then back to Plymouth NH. Color seemed bland and only maybe 25% of the leaves have changed. It didn't help that once I went west of the Central NH highlands I went from 100% clear skies to cloudy conditions. Seems like the change is behind schedule and fairly blah in the area I was. Could change really quickly but I would put Central NH and East Central VT outside of the mountainous area still in low color not moderate color.

Hmm .I was thinking South or Central VT on Sunday perhaps route 100 to route 30 cutting over the spine of the greens and back down route 7. Only day I have available this month for a foliage drive is Sunday. If I do end up going,hopefully it's a decent show, it seems like mixed reviews thus far.

The only thing truly meh was my game...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Awesome.  Love that first shot...from a golfers persepctive, haha.  On holes like that I always want to just get a bucket of balls and sit there for an hour dropping shots onto that green (hopefully).  

As for foliage, that's gotta be at least a week behind for the western Maine mountains.  That looks like it *might* be 50% or so at this point.

Once I get back to Stowe on Friday I'll give an update (driving from Albany Airport to Stowe)...but from shots I've seen from co-workers at the mountain, it looks about the same as that at Sunday River.  Maybe 50%.  Last year from what I see in my photo archive we were already dealing with a lot of leaf drop at this point.

Hmm .I was thinking South or Central VT on Sunday perhaps route 100 to route 30 cutting over the spine of the greens and back down route 7. Only day I have available this month for a foliage drive is Sunday. If I do end up going,hopefully it's a decent show, it seems like mixed reviews thus far.

The pics sugarloaf posted are pretty acurate..there is a lot of color, it's just muted at the moment. By this Sunday could be alot better though. I drove from ORH back home to SVT on Sunday. Pretty little(low color) happening through NW Mass and eastern VT until you got up towards Jamaica VT and heading up towards 1500ft plus in the greens.

This was my Saturday foliage trip into Vermont:

Date: Saturday, October 3rd.

location: I-91, 1-89, Route 12, Moretown Gap Road, Route 100, Route 17, Route 103.

I started the day with my son driving north from Enfield, CT in rain and fog. Rain continued until Brattleboro and the stopped with clearing skies around Mt Ascutney. I-91 is primarily green with spots of 25-50% color near the MA/VT line. We continued north on I-89 to exit 5 and North on Route 12 to Norwich. Color along I-89 is primarily 25-50% with green Oak Trees. Color increased to near peak in spots along Moretown Road and along Moretown Gap. We drove south on Route 100 to route 17 and on to Mad River Glen. I was surprised to see snow/Rime above 3,000' at the ski area, but unfortunately skies remained cloudy with the cloud base roughly paralleling the freezing line.

Color on Mad River Glen is about 60%:

Mad%20River%20Foliage_zpsldi9na9e.jpg

We continued south along Route 100 to Killington which featured about 50-60% color change, but rather drab in spots. Killington was the greenest I have ever seen in early October with around 60% color change:

Killington%20Peak%20Foliage_zps1xntinwk.

Snowdon%20Foliage_zpsfrolqicm.jpg

Archived