• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Fall foliage thread

Ginx snewx

Coming home from church this morning we decided to take the long way and drove over through Willington, Westford & Union.  Our Route took us through Boston Hollow and the Yale Forest.  There are some great colors to be seen and the roads, as usual, were quiet.  Here's a couple of "waterside" foliage pictures that we took.

post-1299-0-75183600-1444581929_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-64023900-1444581953_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-61142200-1444581965_thumb.jp

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just drove to the French King Bridge to take a couple pictures.  I'd have expected less green, but it's still coming along nicely.  You can get a sense of how the valley in northern Franklin County is much more narrow/sharp than from Hampshire County down through CT.  I'll head into Shelburne Falls after my coffee and see how things have shaped up there--they were close to peak yesterday.

Of course, no color editing.  In fact, any color editing should be banned from this thread.  Caveat as needed, but don't put up fake pics.  :)

Torch en route.

56.2/48 off a low of 42.9

Dead and dying leaves

The crowds this weekend are insane in VT. We set our single day record on Saturday for Toll Road and Gondola. I've seen photos from friends at other ski areas of like 1 hour long lines to take a scenic chairlift ride. The late foliage is peaking now, when most years Columbus Day crowds are disappointed as they missed it by a week or so. It's rare to get peak foliage to match up with the holiday weekend.

This is historically Vermont's busiest tourist weekend of the warm season. I'm sure it's packed to capacity in the Berkshires, Whites, Catskills, etc too.

The crowds this weekend are insane in VT. We set our single day record on Saturday for Toll Road and Gondola. I've seen photos from friends at other ski areas of like 1 hour long lines to take a scenic chairlift ride. The late foliage is peaking now, when most years Columbus Day crowds are disappointed as they missed it by a week or so. It's rare to get peak foliage to match up with the holiday weekend.

This is historically Vermont's busiest tourist weekend of the warm season. I'm sure it's packed to capacity in the Berkshires, Whites, Catskills, etc too.

Tell me about it.  My wife decided we needed to go shopping so we went up to Manchester.  I asked "do you really want to head up there this weekend????".  Manchester itself was fine, but driving through Whittingham and Wilmington was bad.

Fruity pebbles in the Tumbledown region in Maine

20151011_114358_zpsuxzv4w0h.jpg

Love your description, Eric!

Not my home forum, but I follow different threads here from time to time so thought I'd share a few foliage pics from around my yard yesterday. About2 weeks late compared to last year.

attachicon.gifDSC00952.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00939.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC00946.jpg

Nice ones--thanks for posting.

Pretty pictures, especially from Eyewall, but the colors do look a bit muted. I think the record warm September may have distupted the foliage. I remember Fall 2008 had some of the best colors around Middlebury VT..there was a big cold shot that month, led to hills blazing with reds and oranges, burnished in the setting sun. Still trying to find that set of pictures.

The worst foliage season ever continues in Vermont:

Date: October 11th, 2015

Routes traveled: I-91, Route 103, Route 100 North, Route 4, Route 100 South, Shrewsbury Road, Route 155, Route 71, Route 9.

Peak foliage conditions now exist between Okemo and Killington with foliage above 2000' starting to go bare.

Killington:

Killington2_zpssyki7mvv.jpg

Very vibrant color between Route 4 North/100 and Route 4/100 South past Killington. Nice color on Shrewsbury Road, Route 155 and 100 South, peak conditions in most spots.

Mt Snow at peak:

Mt%20Snow_zpsczo2a9pz.jpg

Route 71 was past peak with 15-25% of the tree's now bare and not a suggested route anymore this fall for good foliage color.

powderfreak, on 12 Oct 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

Killington, Okemo and Mt Snow where not that crowded last weekend.

Archived