• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Fall foliage thread

Ginx snewx

It's past here. The leaves were raining all weekend. There's some spots around town that are completely bare.

70-80% leaf drop in my 'hood - lots of early-dropping white ash.  Definitely past peak for the wider area, and maybe 50% drop, but some of the sugar maples are just peaking, amidst the bare-limbed ash and sparsely foliaged birches.  Still some bright color on the red maples, though their tops are tattered from the weekend gusts. 

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a drive into New York State yesterday via I-90 and I-87 to Prospect Mountain Memorial Highway. This is a mountain in Lake George that has a roadway to 2,349' and great views of the Catskills, Adirondacks and Green Mountains. The foliage was peak with the non Oaks, but green for the Oaks.

Lake George:

Lake%20George_zps5bfssuy9.jpg

Looking further north on Lake George:

Lake%20George%202_zps29e9j3nu.jpg

We drove north to Fort Ticonderoga and then drove south bound on NYS22 which had beautiful foliage and peak color conditions. We went home via Route 4 to Pico/Killington. Rutland has peak foliage conditions, but Killington/Pico are past peak.

Pico:

Pico_zpsdzyazsiy.jpg

Killington:

Killington_zpsu36joib7.jpg

The weather featured a lot of clouds and snow showers, not the best for foliage photography.

Love that first shot of lake George, really nice.

Northwestern Connecticut is now past peak. I did the drive yesterday afternoon on Route 44 to Route 8 and then to Route 4 and the non Oaks are about 50% bare. Route 44 from Norfolk to Winsted had good color, but green Oak tree's. Route 318 will have peak Oak color sometime in the next 7-10 days.

Mohawk Mountain at or slightly past peak:

You missed peak in NE CT.  There's still good color in places but it was really peak this past weekend.

Ellington, Connecticut:

Foliage color is mid-stage and should be peak this weekend.

The eastern side of the hills have better color....you'd be amazed at the difference between Ellington and Stafford.

Full peak now..Even oaks are turning all sorts of hideous colors..Taken on Peter Green Rd in #Tolland

Most of my maples are half bare now....lots of leaf drop the past couple of days! 

You missed peak in NE CT. There's still good color in places but it was really peak this past weekend.

The eastern side of the hills have better color....you'd be amazed at the difference between Ellington and Stafford.

Most of my maples are half bare now....lots of leaf drop the past couple of days!

We rake

You missed peak in NE CT.  There's still good color in places but it was really peak this past weekend.

I missed peak foliage in Eastern Connecticut but was in Rutland, Killington, Mt Snow, Albany, Lake George and Northern Massachusetts for peak color. This was one of the latest foliage seasons in recent memory, but a very good one IMO.

Rake.  It's good for the grass and ground.  Who wants to go out in their yard and listen to the drone of blowers, particularly the backpack/handheld variety?

Someone who has tons of trees and leaves and doesn't want to or have time to spend all day every weekend for 6+weeks doing it. Someone who wants clean flowerbeds..etc 

Why use a lawn mower? It's loud. Just use scissors

Someone who has tons of trees and leaves and doesn't want to or have time to spend all day every weekend for 6+weeks doing it. Someone who wants clean flowerbeds..etc 

Why use a lawn mower? It's loud. Just use scissors

lol...wait for all the leaves to fall and then do one clean up.  One day and you're done.

I don't have a problem with blowers as they have their purpose but you'll see people out there and they spend more time with the blower than it would take with a rake.

Archived