wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Fall foliage thread

Ginx snewx

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we were at peak on Tuesday, then I thought Wednesday but today things just keep on getting brighter.  Just everything is brillant.  Great year for a good peak here.  Even with camera looking into sun  (no adjustment) every tree is brightly colored.

Agree, it is a stunning year 30 miles to your south.  I am happy not to be on the road this week....totally soaking up the beautiful place we live.

I thought we were at peak on Tuesday, then I thought Wednesday but today things just keep on getting brighter.  Just everything is brillant.  Great year for a good peak here.  Even with camera looking into sun  (no adjustment) every tree is brightly colored.

Yeah the peak always catches me off guard with how vibrant it is.  However, I think last autumn was slightly better here.  Lots of orange and yellow this year, but didn't really find the deep reds that seem to pop up some years.  Entire hillsides are orange though so that looks pretty awesome.  I just miss the more diverse color scheme that I see in my photos from last year.

Hiked Slide Mountain (4190') in the Catskills today, and foliage was near peak in the mid-elevations with leaf drop up high. I definitely agree with Powderfreak that reds are lacking this year, but there were still a lot of beautiful colors, and a great day for a relatively strenuous hike...50s in the valley, 40s at the summit. Used a crappy cell phone camera, so not the greatest quality, but here they are:

post-475-0-15036200-1444959056_thumb.jpg

post-475-0-20350700-1444959067_thumb.jpg

post-475-0-79784500-1444959099_thumb.jpg

post-475-0-08670100-1444959117_thumb.jpg

post-475-0-30759200-1444959124_thumb.jpg

Some photos from today...had some clouds mixed with sun and a few rain showers earlier. 

Foliage is at peak but can tell with the wind picking up this afternoon there is a lot of leaf drop.

Here are some photos from in town, Stowe, VT:

IMG_1764_edited-2_zpsni6724if.jpg

IMG_1798_edited-2_zpstjqmpv3i.jpg

IMG_1772_edited-2_zpscfira75b.jpg

IMG_1792_edited-2_zpscago5itp.jpg

And the Wife... sweet day to wander the dirt roads checking out foliage.'

IMG_1788_edited-2_zpszmlnqmgk.jpg

Hiked Slide Mountain (4190') in the Catskills today, and foliage was near peak in the mid-elevations with leaf drop up high. I definitely agree with Powderfreak that reds are lacking this year, but there were still a lot of beautiful colors, and a great day for a relatively strenuous hike...50s in the valley, 40s at the summit. Used a crappy cell phone camera, so not the greatest quality, but here they are:

attachicon.gif20151015_152422.jpg

attachicon.gif20151015_155239.jpg

attachicon.gif20151015_171920.jpg

attachicon.gif20151015_172127.jpg

attachicon.gif20151015_173056.jpg

I really like that second one.  Also, I had you pegged as too young to be married.  The wonders of the board--lots of conversation over the years and most don't really know most of us.

Still fantastic color this AM.  Passing clouds and sprinkles with bright sun.  Caught this off my webcam.  Love how the foreground is in shadow and the far mountains but the end of my field with poplar and birches catching the sun.  No post production, except slight sharpening.  Never been this bright in 26 years of living here.

PS  Looks to be some frozen virga at cloud level but just sprinkles and upper 40's at ground level

post-268-0-46264300-1445010424_thumb.jpg

Powder is it still looking good n Stowe or too much lead drop now?

Sent from my VS986

Lots of leaf drop. Color has become more uniform...like all orange. We are past peak. I heard from a friend yesterday in town that he thought where the west slope and CPV meet were the best like Hinesburg, Richmond, Essex, etc.

Lots of leaf drop. Color has become more uniform...like all orange. We are past peak. I heard from a friend yesterday in town that he thought the west slopes were the best like Hinesburg, Richmond, etc.

I would agree with that assessment of Hinesburg etc.

I took these from High Ledges here in Shelburne looking west along the Deerfield across the Berks.  Behind the Berks you can see the Hoosac range and Mt. Greylock.  The buildings at the bottom of the hill are Shelburne Falls, about 900' below the ledges.

I recommend visiting the Ledges.  If you're up for a little exercise you can take the steep climb up.  But, you can also just to the near level 10 minute walk from the parking area.  Ideal for those who might have your kids in tow.

GC at its best.

43.9/28

Edit:  For Steve and Lurker, the windmill in the bottom pic is Berkshire East.

I took a drive into New York State yesterday via I-90 and I-87 to Prospect Mountain Memorial Highway. This is a mountain in Lake George that has a roadway to 2,349' and great views of the Catskills, Adirondacks and Green Mountains. The foliage was peak with the non Oaks, but green for the Oaks.

Lake George:

Lake%20George_zps5bfssuy9.jpg

Looking further north on Lake George:

Lake%20George%202_zps29e9j3nu.jpg

We drove north to Fort Ticonderoga and then drove south bound on NYS22 which had beautiful foliage and peak color conditions. We went home via Route 4 to Pico/Killington. Rutland has peak foliage conditions, but Killington/Pico are past peak.

Pico:

Pico_zpsdzyazsiy.jpg

Killington:

Killington_zpsu36joib7.jpg

The weather featured a lot of clouds and snow showers, not the best for foliage photography.

Northwestern Connecticut is now past peak. I did the drive yesterday afternoon on Route 44 to Route 8 and then to Route 4 and the non Oaks are about 50% bare. Route 44 from Norfolk to Winsted had good color, but green Oak tree's. Route 318 will have peak Oak color sometime in the next 7-10 days.

Mohawk Mountain at or slightly past peak:

Mohawk_zps4jl7aunv.jpg

Archived