joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall foliage thread

Ginx snewx

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do with the acorns this year. It's such a massive amount of work. Whether I blow or rake them or hand pick. It's just mind boggling

Pay your kids a penny an acorn to pick them up and give them buckets.  My son filled a five gallon bucket in about an hour and had a grand old time out there doing it.

Ah, part of Lake St. Catherine.  Spent a whole bunch of time in Wells several years back trying to straighten out their town clerk's office.  Pretty area and a nice golf course.

Those hills to the east of Lake St. Catherine and Little Lake are spectacular, any time of the year.  Wonderful place.  Did you get their town clerk's office problem fixed?

Those hills to the east of Lake St. Catherine and Little Lake are spectacular, any time of the year.  Wonderful place.  Did you get their town clerk's office problem fixed?

Middletown Springs, just to the east and Rupert to the south are very nice areas.  Very isolated and remote. 

As for the clerk's office, it took several years and a lot of hard work by concerned town members but it did finally get sorted.  It had been located in an old general store, with sagging floors and a leaky roof.  The town clerk at the time was the second or third generation in his family to have held the position.  Tragically he committed suicide and the town needed help sorting the office out.  I worked for the State's Public Records Division at the time and part of my job was to advise clerks on land records issues and overall records management.  I went down with a number of clerks and town treasurers from other towns around the state to assist the town.  The mess in the office was incredible.  Deeds laying around that had never been recorded properly, uncashed tax payment checks. unfiled voter registration forms, left over goods from the general store closing 15 years before, you name it, it was just a horrible mess.  One of the biggest support mechanisms of any local economy are the land records and they didn't even have a vault, just a century old safe that they struggled locking and unlocking.  Despite all of this, many in the town opposed building dedicated town offices and it took several years and several successful grant applications before one was finally built.  I even went down and spoke at a special town meeting highlighting the dire need for adequately housing the land records.  It was one of my most satisfying days of my career when I attended the ribbon cutting ceremony several years ago knowing that I played a small part in helping a town out.

Middletown Springs, just to the east and Rupert to the south are very nice areas.  Very isolated and remote. 

As for the clerk's office, it took several years and a lot of hard work by concerned town members but it did finally get sorted.  It had been located in an old general store, with sagging floors and a leaky roof.  The town clerk at the time was the second or third generation in his family to have held the position.  Tragically he committed suicide and the town needed help sorting the office out.  I worked for the State's Public Records Division at the time and part of my job was to advise clerks on land records issues and overall records management.  I went down with a number of clerks and town treasurers from other towns around the state to assist the town.  The mess in the office was incredible.  Deeds laying around that had never been recorded properly, uncashed tax payment checks. unfiled voter registration forms, left over goods from the general store closing 15 years before, you name it, it was just a horrible mess.  One of the biggest support mechanisms of any local economy are the land records and they didn't even have a vault, just a century old safe that they struggled locking and unlocking.  Despite all of this, many in the town opposed building dedicated town offices and it took several years and several successful grant applications before one was finally built.  I even went down and spoke at a special town meeting highlighting the dire need for adequately housing the land records.  It was one of my most satisfying days of my career when I attended the ribbon cutting ceremony several years ago knowing that I played a small part in helping a town out.

That's quite a story.  Nicely done in helping it turn out for the better.  Structural improvements in small towns are a tough sell.  Vermont has a reputation as being a very liberal state, but on a community by community basis, we're a pretty tough crowd when it comes to spending money.  There's a bootstrap mentality that says 'we got by just fine with how it was, so we can manage a few more years...'

Archived