• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Fall foliage thread

Ginx snewx

Awesome photos as always, though I disagree with this. I think past peak is still more like 2,500ft and higher. Of course it changes by the day, but the photography is still great up through 2,500ft at least in the Bolton-Mansfield stretch.

You may be right. It is probably where I hit the real vibrant patches that made me think that.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too late to help foliage. Brown fall

If we can't these dews that we've had for what seems like ever down.. The leaves are going to be green into Nov. other than the ones that have changed from the drought

Brown no matter where you look. Maples around here that typically are bright red, are faded brown/ tan/ yellow edges

:lol:

post-352-0-00073800-1444759689.jpg

post-3-0-85132100-1444660386.jpeg

post-10812-0-34565300-1444502806.jpg

post-10812-0-68350200-1444503045.jpg

12108722_10102912063438439_7459742387668

11157521_10102918941948849_5313021682866

20151011_114358_zpsuxzv4w0h.jpg

post-462-0-35368700-1444496574.jpg

One thing I'll say is I'm really glad I don't have oaks.  Their great for burning and shade.  Other than that, they suck.  I have  75% maple, 15% cherry, 10% other.  0% oak.

Oaks certainly cannot match the colors of red and sugar maple, but not all is lost.  Some red oaks turn a muted burgundy though most go almost directly to brown.  Pin oak isn't native to Maine though it's occasionally used as an ornamental, and it usually offers a strong red which holds a week or two after the red maples are past peak.  White oak, not all that common here, can produce an interesting purplish color. 

Oaks certainly cannot match the colors of red and sugar maple, but not all is lost.  Some red oaks turn a muted burgundy though most go almost directly to brown.  Pin oak isn't native to Maine though it's occasionally used as an ornamental, and it usually offers a strong red which holds a week or two after the red maples are past peak.  White oak, not all that common here, can produce an interesting purplish color. 

I love the color of white oaks in the fall, especially that unique rusty red. See first photo below (not mine, but you get a feel for their color).

As their name implies, scarlet oaks can really turn a bright red color (second photo, again not mine). We have a few sparse whites but no scarlets locally. 99% of the oak here is red oak, and they don't really turn. Most of them are still green when the maples and ashes peak and then toward late October they go to brown before dropping. I believe they're called red oaks for the color of their wood not their fall foliage. SE MA has a lot of whites and scarlets so they can get a nice late peak in late October, early November.

I want to plant a white oak on my land up in VT to add some species diversity and attract wildlife since the critters go for the white oak acorns, but I'm not sure how it'll grow up there in an environment better suited for balsam fir, red spruce, yellow birch, red maple, and mountain ash.

post-48-0-11331600-1444852016_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-97209700-1444852023_thumb.jpg

I love the color of white oaks in the fall, especially that unique rusty red. See first photo below (not mine, but you get a feel for their color).

As their name implies, scarlet oaks can really turn a bright red color (second photo, again not mine). We have a few sparse whites but no scarlets locally. 99% of the oak here is red oak, and they don't really turn. Most of them are still green when the maples and ashes peak and then toward late October they go to brown before dropping. I believe they're called red oaks for the color of their wood not their fall foliage. SE MA has a lot of whites and scarlets so they can get a nice late peak in late October, early November.

I want to plant a white oak on my land up in VT to add some species diversity and attract wildlife since the critters go for the white oak acorns, but I'm not sure how it'll grow up there in an environment better suited for balsam fir, red spruce, yellow birch, red maple, and mountain ash.

Think you're correct on the naming of red oak, though occasional individual trees show enough reddish brown to hold some interest.  Those scarlet oak leaves somewhat resemble those of pin oak, though the latter is even more deeply lobed and a brighter red.  I'd guess that white oak would grow there, but the question would be whether the growing degree days are sufficient for them to produce acorns.  If you decide to plant, get your stock from the most northerly provenance possible, otherwise they may not survive well.  In Maine, white oak occurs naturally in the Kennebec Valley as far north as WVL, though it's uncommon north of Gardiner.

Another possibility is bur oak.  I don't know how its fall colors look, but it has huge acorns with the white oak group's low tannin content, thus preferred by the critters.  It would definitely be hardy, as its range in the midwest extends well into the prairie provinces.  It's uncommon in Maine because it's less tolerant of shade than many of its relatives and the Maine forest tends to favor trees that can survive in shade.  Bur oak in the midwest is often the "edge-of-prairie" tree.

What type of Oaks turn yellow? They are the ones dropping the massive hundreds of thousands of acorns this year. They all have fairly bright yellow leaves..that quickly fade brown

Your pics from earlier this year look like northern red oak.  Yellow is an uncommon but not unknown fall coloration for the species, or for any other oak.  It may be related to low rainfall during the summer.  Red oak acorns have caps which cover less than 1/3 of the nut; I don't think any other oak species has a cap covering that little.

Think you're correct on the naming of red oak, though occasional individual trees show enough reddish brown to hold some interest. Those scarlet oak leaves somewhat resemble those of pin oak, though the latter is even more deeply lobed and a brighter red. I'd guess that white oak would grow there, but the question would be whether the growing degree days are sufficient for them to produce acorns. If you decide to plant, get your stock from the most northerly provenance possible, otherwise they may not survive well. In Maine, white oak occurs naturally in the Kennebec Valley as far north as WVL, though it's uncommon north of Gardiner.

Another possibility is bur oak. I don't know how its fall colors look, but it has huge acorns with the white oak group's low tannin content, thus preferred by the critters. It would definitely be hardy, as its range in the midwest extends well into the prairie provinces. It's uncommon in Maine because it's less tolerant of shade than many of its relatives and the Maine forest tends to favor trees that can survive in shade. Bur oak in the midwest is often the "edge-of-prairie" tree.

What type of Oaks turn yellow? They are the ones dropping the massive hundreds of thousands of acorns this year. They all have fairly bright yellow leaves..that quickly fade brown

Your pics from earlier this year look like northern red oak. Yellow is an uncommon but not unknown fall coloration for the species, or for any other oak. It may be related to low rainfall during the summer. Red oak acorns have caps which cover less than 1/3 of the nut; I don't think any other oak species has a cap covering that little.

Beasts.. Hate every last one

EB8BEFC0-60CE-487E-9041-60892DB7D1DC_zps

942C11C4-4E68-491F-93F9-69A377BE4614_zps

Some photos from today...had some clouds mixed with sun and a few rain showers earlier. 

Foliage is at peak but can tell with the wind picking up this afternoon there is a lot of leaf drop.

Here are some photos from in town, Stowe, VT:

IMG_1764_edited-2_zpsni6724if.jpg

IMG_1798_edited-2_zpstjqmpv3i.jpg

IMG_1772_edited-2_zpscfira75b.jpg

IMG_1792_edited-2_zpscago5itp.jpg

And the Wife... sweet day to wander the dirt roads checking out foliage.'

IMG_1788_edited-2_zpszmlnqmgk.jpg

Some photos from today...had some clouds mixed with sun and a few rain showers earlier. 

Foliage is at peak but can tell with the wind picking up this afternoon there is a lot of leaf drop.

I just saw that picture on Twitter.. honest to God

Think you're correct on the naming of red oak, though occasional individual trees show enough reddish brown to hold some interest.  Those scarlet oak leaves somewhat resemble those of pin oak, though the latter is even more deeply lobed and a brighter red.  I'd guess that white oak would grow there, but the question would be whether the growing degree days are sufficient for them to produce acorns.  If you decide to plant, get your stock from the most northerly provenance possible, otherwise they may not survive well.  In Maine, white oak occurs naturally in the Kennebec Valley as far north as WVL, though it's uncommon north of Gardiner.

Another possibility is bur oak.  I don't know how its fall colors look, but it has huge acorns with the white oak group's low tannin content, thus preferred by the critters.  It would definitely be hardy, as its range in the midwest extends well into the prairie provinces.  It's uncommon in Maine because it's less tolerant of shade than many of its relatives and the Maine forest tends to favor trees that can survive in shade.  Bur oak in the midwest is often the "edge-of-prairie" tree.

Your pics from earlier this year look like northern red oak.  Yellow is an uncommon but not unknown fall coloration for the species, or for any other oak.  It may be related to low rainfall during the summer.  Red oak acorns have caps which cover less than 1/3 of the nut; I don't think any other oak species has a cap covering that little.

I am also considering a swamp white oak as the lower parts of my land will flood during the spring. They're not as colorful but may be more tolerant of wet conditions and high water tables in the spring.

I've seen white oaks in VT as far north as the Barre/Montpelier area east of the spine. I'd imagine they exist west of the spine in the BTV area too, but it's been awhile since I've been that far north on US 7.

Beasts.. Hate every last one

EB8BEFC0-60CE-487E-9041-60892DB7D1DC_zps

942C11C4-4E68-491F-93F9-69A377BE4614_zps

Those look like red oaks.

Not as awesome as some of this pis on here - you guys are like professional photographers.  But a couple pics of my little slice of heaven in Boscawen, NH.  The mountain view is looking at Mt. Kearsarge a 3000ft peak, the largest in SNH.

This is a fantastic foliage year...the reds are redder than I've ever seen.  Been spending every early evening this week on our hillside in a chair, cocktail in hand.

post-263-0-60169900-1444873806_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-04913500-1444873810_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-81795000-1444873813_thumb.jpg

I was in your neck of the woods for a bit this week, beautiful area and peak conditions. I took my first drive through the notch too, quite the road, especially with rain showers and leaves dropping LOL. You have yourself a beautiful neck of the woods.

I am also considering a swamp white oak as the lower parts of my land will flood during the spring. They're not as colorful but may be more tolerant of wet conditions and high water tables in the spring.

I've seen white oaks in VT as far north as the Barre/Montpelier area east of the spine. I'd imagine they exist west of the spine in the BTV area too, but it's been awhile since I've been that far north on US 7.

Bur oak doesn't mind getting its feet wet, either, though it's not as extremely tolerant of flooding as swamp white.

They must be as they have the acorns that Tamarack described. Thousands per tree this year. Trying to keep up with them is a lost cause

Archived