SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Obs and Daily Disco

H2O

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove up Rt. 27 and decided to detour to Fridinger Mill Rd via Albert Rill Rd.  The thermometer on my car went from 94 to 87 once I got off the main drag.  What a wonder a few trees will do for you.

Ever notice how Rt. 97 on the north side of Westminster is a hot spot in the county?   If you drive out of Westminster north towards the airport watch your thermometer in the car.  It will rise a few degrees coming out of Westiminster..... this continues most of the way north along 97 but if you pull off on a nearby road, say the road to Hashawa Park, it dips back down again.   Conversely, if you drive along Rt. 97 SOUTH of Westminster your car thermometer will likely drop off a few degrees coming out of town.  Why?  I think mainly it is due to a slow rise in elevation along that part of Rt. 97....I am not sure why the temperatures going to the north of town spike like they do, maybe a slow decrease in elevation but still a bit odd that it seems to always happen that way.  

Drove up Rt. 27 and decided to detour to Fridinger Mill Rd via Albert Rill Rd.  The thermometer on my car went from 94 to 87 once I got off the main drag.  What a wonder a few trees will do for you.

The other thing about Rt. 27 even though it is called Ridge Road, is that parts of it is relatively low lying compared to the surrounding countryside.   For instance as you approach Westiminster a couple of miles to the south of town it is practically in a ravine valley surrounded on both sides but much higher (800+ ft elevation) while Rt 27 at that point is easily 100-200 feet lower.   I often notice a spike in temperature when I am driving along that particular section of Rt. 27..........Conversely, around Mt. Airy and for several miles northward it is a high elevation road aptly named Ridge Road in that section of it.

Ever notice how Rt. 97 on the north side of Westminster is a hot spot in the county?   If you drive out of Westminster north towards the airport watch your thermometer in the car.  It will rise a few degrees coming out of Westiminster..... this continues most of the way north along 97 but if you pull off on a nearby road, say the road to Hashawa Park, it dips back down again.   Conversely, if you drive along Rt. 97 SOUTH of Westminster your car thermometer will likely drop off a few degrees coming out of town.  Why?  I think mainly it is due to a slow rise in elevation along that part of Rt. 97....I am not sure why the temperatures going to the north of town spike like they do, maybe a slow decrease in elevation but still a bit odd that it seems to always happen that way.  

Could also be the development on the north side of town.  There's a lot of concrete and asphalt.

12Z Euro is a furnace run, 9 out of the next 10 days are 90+ in DC, several 95+ days, and no end in sight out to day 10.

Barf.  Good thing I'm going to Florida in a week to cool off.  

My wx station is borked. I have a heat index of 142F right now

Seems legit.

The 00z run of the LWX WRF-NMM4N shows a small cluster of storms approaching DC from the NW around 5-6pm this afternoon/evening... the 06z LWX 4KM WRF-ARW run shows the same, but is more of a single cell storm coming through... then a cluster of storms moves into the area around 10pm

ETA: 06z run of the LWX WRF-NMM4N likes a complex of storms (MCS/remnants of a MCS) around 10pm

Based on latest RAP plots, seems the best chances for something decent to fire today is along and east of I-95, esp along the bay and towards southern DE and lower eastern shore. Best CAPE, low level DPs, RH at 850 mb and upwards, and some surface convergence, all coincide in this area later this afternoon into the evening.

12z LWX WRF-NMM4N sets up a choo choo train of storms this evening into overnight from SW PA and moving SE into C MD/N VA... 15z LWX 4KM WRF-ARW run agrees and also has a choo choo train of storms moving into the area from NW to SE between 7pm and midnight

Looking a little iffy for the 12z TRW-YYDDE WD4O.

I hope it proves me wrong.

Archived