wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 20th White Rain/Slush Event Discussion and Obs

yoda

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for the more knowledgeable in the room:  So at 3:30 am, it was in the mid-40s with rain beginning across the area, and the wet bulb temp was around 38.  A couple hours later, the temperatures dropped to between 33-35, with wet snow falling.  We've had either calm winds or light southeasterly winds the whole time, so where did this cold air source come from?  Did it mix down vertically from the upper levels?  I know there is cold air in New England but I don't see how it could bleed into this area on southeasterly winds.

The diving board. Seems like a perfect spot most of the time.

You country folk are so posh.

2.3". Looks like that will be the final total, it has lightened and it will probably not add any to the totals with the melting going on.

Not bad!  Thanks for the update.  I'll check around for other totals near me before calling it.

Decided to sleep it out lol. I think we might have had a half inch on car tops. Not bad for March 20. We get to enjoy highs today only in the 30s. I wish we had a nice refreshing north breeze to go with it.

Congrats to those who got several inches of snow. The pics are excellent!  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:

Question for the more knowledgeable in the room:  So at 3:30 am, it was in the mid-40s with rain beginning across the area, and the wet bulb temp was around 38.  A couple hours later, the temperatures dropped to between 33-35, with wet snow falling.  We've had either calm winds or light southeasterly winds the whole time, so where did this cold air source come from?  Did it mix down vertically from the upper levels?  I know there is cold air in New England but I don't see how it could bleed into this area on southeasterly winds.

The High was not in an ideal position, but the air was pretty dry. Probably mostly evap cooling. Dynamic cooling is a bit misunderstood, its not simply cold air aloft  coming down to the surface with the heavy precip. One of the processes involved there is the snow melting as it falls into "warmer air", thus removing heat. In this case I think it was more evap cooling with the low dew points. Dynamic cooling gets talked up a lot, but evap cooling is more efficient.

Dropped to 36 at DCA and 33 at IAD.  Didn't help much, but LAMP was high.

0.48" precip.  Pretty healthy.

when  DCA was 46 at 1am, the writing was on the wall down here..I got a slushy 0.1"...was fun seeing flakes fly....starting out cold on 3/25 last year and getting some heavy in the morning made a big difference,.,.

Archived