joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20th White Rain/Slush Event Discussion and Obs

yoda

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying I buy the higher totals but tropical tidbits nam snow maps have had an issue for a while. They have looked low compared to other nam output and sometimes were obviously off.

For some reason it only seems to happen with the 06z and 18z runs.

^^ ugh, for reals? come on, I'm finally snow free at home... someone else take the NAM .3qpf. I dont want it. 

Nam has me around .5 and 4K is around .75 here. I'll take my chances with that and marginal temps, will need rates to overcome.

EDIT-

I not talking big stuff, I'll consider 2 inches a huge win.

Euro snow map has 3"+ for much of dca/bwi area, more near PA border...5ish

Let's do this one! Why not. Nothing we can do about it. Spring will get here soon enough. I hope we can score some early road stickage. Well that's the kids thoughts anyway. ;)

The Euro has the event beginning around 08 UT (4AM).  It also shows rain-or-snow to snow to rain scenario with temperatures in the mid-30s (coldest I see is 1.1 C, although I only have instantaneous output at 3 hr intervals). 

850 temperatures rise above freezing around 13 UT at DCA and 15 UT at BWI. 

~0.65 inches of precip with ~0..05 inches per hour for ~a 13-hour period. 

BWI (DCA) has ~0.4 (0.35)" of precip before the 850 temperatures rise above 0. At 8/1 that would be the 3" that the snow algorithms show (making the dubious assumption of no meltage)

60 degrees or so on Saturday

SREF plumes (for what they are worth) show pretty good agreement once you take out the outliers on the high and low end of around 2-3"

All but 2 members predict around 2" or more at DCA fwiw

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20150318&RT=09&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=DCA&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=4&mLAT=37.77478874678&mLON=-96.042896875&mTYP=roadmap

SREF plumes (for what they are worth) show pretty good agreement once you take out the outliers on the high and low end of around 2-3"

All but 2 members predict around 2" or more at DCA fwiw

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20150318&RT=09&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=DCA&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=4&mLAT=37.77478874678&mLON=-96.042896875&mTYP=roadmap

Mean at IAD is close to 5".. all members have at least 1".

Bob,

The JYO EPS snow chart looks like it does in February

I've been watching it. We need the 24-25th to pan out. That's the bigger storm setup even though ops are squashing it right now. Unfortunately, the EPS has remained about the same for the last few days and not gaining support. Still not a dead period yet. 

I'll take my 1-2" of slush and like it Friday morning. 

RGEM ensemble looks a little snowier than the GGEM ensemble for Friday, but as far as I know there is no way to get the RGEM ensemble mean. 

For fun: one of the GGEM ensemble members drops about 3" qpf as snow on DC on the 25th-26th.

I think even the city looks good for 1-2" as of right now.  Problem with these events, is it melts when you lull, so it makes it hard to measure.   

this would go into the category of "weenie bonus snow" in my mind

it's guaranteed not to hang around long, but it is still nice to see and adds to the season's total

....and the fact that it pi$$e$ off the spring lovers gives it some added value too      :P

this would go into the category of "weenie bonus snow" in my mind

it's guaranteed not to hang around long, but it is still nice to see and adds to the season's total

....and the fact that it pi$$e$ off the spring lovers gives it some added value too      :P

Yeah, crazy people who like spring.

What's wrong with you?

Archived