• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Storm Obs/Nowcasting

nj2va

That final act did nothing really here....My guess is that last band is mostly cosmetic, but isn't always easy to tell from radar presentation.

Yeah, Ive been done since about 5PM...dried out a little, so I doubt that band does much for me...for people that still have some light snow, maybe it does a little something more but we're pretty much done here. Nice one.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We picked up about 1.5 overnight before the real storm started so that helped add to the totals. We also got into some rockin bands around mid-morning.

Yeah, no idea when I turned over. I know at 5 it was lightly snowing, with a dusting of probably sleet. Great storm either way.

Well this far western band is really nothing big. Just light pixie dust and some light breezes. But I just took an incredible Jebwalk in it. What made it special is that it is most likely the last time I will be able to walk in falling snow during the 2014/15 winter. It is just a perfect night for a Jebwalk. Almost 9 inches of fresh snow and 23 degrees. Every neighbor saying hi as they shoveled away. Really a great evening walk. Here are some pics from my Jebwalk

I dont know this guys shoveling plan. But he could sure use Jeb's help:

post-1681-0-02214500-1425599505_thumb.jp

post-1681-0-64045600-1425599582_thumb.jp

post-1681-0-60209800-1425599655_thumb.jp

post-1681-0-51768700-1425599669_thumb.jp

I was lower. I'm somehow losing to IAD by 13" this year. We've just been in a bad spot locally.

Yup. It's been pretty crazy. I've come in well lower than places 10-15 miles away regularly, and looking at seasonal totals I'm well lower than them overall. It's been all about banding many times, but today was really frustrating because we got in good bands but it just didn't pile up as well as I'd have expected it to.

Nice to see almost everyone except a few lucky northerners end up with 5-8"

Major subforum win. This was the best storm of the year for me even though I got more with the previous one. Seeing folks in all directions get hit was awesome. Great deep winter day. Not sure when my powder topped glacier concedes but I'm getting a minimum of 24 days of continuous snowcover. Haven't seen my lawn since Valentines afternoon.

Yup. It's been pretty crazy. I've come in well lower than places 10-15 miles away regularly, and looking at seasonal totals I'm well lower than them overall. It's been all about banding many times, but today was really frustrating because we got in good bands but it just didn't pile up as well as I'd have expected it to.

higher terrain out this way

Major subforum win. This was the best storm of the year for me even though I got more with the previous one. Seeing folks in all directions get hit was awesome. Great deep winter day. Not sure when my powder topped glacier concedes but I'm getting a minimum of 24 days of continuous snowcover. Haven't seen my lawn since Valentines afternoon.

I measured my protected snowpack spot on the NW corner of my house this evening. There is 15 inches of snow in that area. It gets no sun and very little wind. Thats where I put my snowboard. I wonder how long it will take for it to melt? 

I think this was the one area-wide storm many of us were looking for, with warning totals almost everywhere in our part of the subforum. If anything the southerners may have even gotten their 5-6" in a better way since it came down in just a few hours. I imagine it was incredible to watch. Definitely revenge for that Snowquester debacle

For me this March outdoes last March... there is almost a foot of snow in the yard and temps will be every bit as impressive as the early March cold shot last year.

This measurement is a joke. Trained spotter my @**

1 NW FALLS CHURCH - TRAINED SPOTTER

Date: 03/05/2015

Time: 630 PM

Storm Total Snowfall: 8.7

p

LOL.  That is obscene.  These are the Falls Church measurements (me in bold)

1 NW FALLS CHURCH 8.7 630 PM 3/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 W FALLS CHURCH 5.8 627 PM 3/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 SE I66 AND I495 IN 5.5 450 PM 3/05 NWS EMPLOYEE

1 ESE DUNN LORING 5.0 500 PM 3/05 COCORAHS

Archived