• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Storm Obs/Nowcasting

nj2va

NeedbiggerBoat: actually, I think Burke is higher in elevation than here. I think I am at 220 feet or something. Burke is about 325 like Mattie G says. I have lived in both places for several years and my parents still live there.m. Burke seems to get more than me here when there is not an E-W temperature gradient-type storm.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Falls Church is 2 miles in area and the smallest county in the United States(really an independent city but whatever). I find it extremely hard to believe that somebody reported 8.7" when nobody else reported anything near to that.

Well... You can come on in and fix it if you like. We could use the help after receiving several hundred reports and calls throughout the day.

I'm going with 5.5 tho I didn't measure at home till it 'ended'. Seems to match up with close by reports. Was getting 5-6 near the Capitol but didn't try too hard probably 5 was closer.

LOL.  That is obscene.  These are the Falls Church measurements (me in bold)

1 NW FALLS CHURCH 8.7 630 PM 3/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 W FALLS CHURCH 5.8 627 PM 3/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 SE I66 AND I495 IN 5.5 450 PM 3/05 NWS EMPLOYEE

1 ESE DUNN LORING 5.0 500 PM 3/05 COCORAHS

we have a trained spotter at the Arboretum who has ludicrous measurements.  7" this storm...He had 8" a couple storms ago.  I wrote on LWX's FB page that he needs to be retrained.

How much did you end up with today?

Unfortunately, I'm in Green Bay, and missed this event.  (On the plus side, it did get down to -7 this morning...)

Just a touch under 7"-- using my quarter inch recording method, it goes in as 7. 

Can confirm the 7". I measured 6.9" at 8 PM. Last little band should put my over the top. Looks like I tied my total from 2/21 exactly.

My IMBY bar was 6", which was achieved. Great storm.

This measurement is a joke. Trained spotter my @**

1 NW FALLS CHURCH - TRAINED SPOTTER

Date: 03/05/2015

Time: 630 PM

Storm Total Snowfall: 8.7

p

Fwiw, the Basic Spotter class doesn't typically cover snow measurement methods.

NeedbiggerBoat: actually, I think Burke is higher in elevation than here. I think I am at 220 feet or something. Burke is about 325 like Mattie G says. I have lived in both places for several years and my parents still live there.m. Burke seems to get more than me here when there is not an E-W temperature gradient-type storm.

i reposed to mg, but i'm 390...one of higher elevtions points in centreville....like to keep the rif raf in view from the high ground

Well... You can come on in and fix it if you like. We could use the help after receiving several hundred reports and calls throughout the day.

That's hilarious! At least the area knows how to report red flags.

I never clear, but  I was having a lot of trouble with uniformity with this storm, and I didn't want to rely on a table with gaps in it, which I never use for most storms because it undermeasures, sometimes horribly because the snow falls through.  It turns out clearing didn't actually help me with accuracy, because I still wasn't getting uniform totals with the post 2pm total.  The table was measuring about 0.2 - 0.3 less than my other 2pm measurements, but I hate going with a bigger total unless I am confident.  I could probably justify 5.5", but I'd rather go with the uniform total and tack on 0.1 - 0.2 so it jibes with the bottom end  of my combined total range, and to compensate for it likely measuring too low.  I don't really care about compaction.  That is something we live with.  I almost never tack on for compaction. You measure what you measure.

I did clear this storm knowing that the bottom layer was going to be sleet and wet snow that was just going to keep compacting.  I normally don't but maybe in these type storms its why I sometimes get low numbers compared to others.

I just thought it was a better time to do it properly for this storm

I just spent 2 hours diggin snow. Plow left a 3 foot berm of snow in front of three of my neighbor's driveways. Well, they called upon Jeb.

I am gonna sleep for about 8 hrs then go out and dig more ppl out. That plow is completely out of control. He leaves 3 foot berms composed of gigantic snow boulders right in the entrances to my neighbors' driveways. I am going to be busy thru tomorrow.

I got my snow fix --- For now.

I think this is one of my fav storms in 10/9.5 winters here. At least Jan 2010 level which is up there.

This has been a great storm! My gut feeling was that we could have a high impact given the moisture tap from the pac and gulf into arctic air. I also commend the map you put out. Worked very well.

Archived