joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Storm Obs/Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at 325', and I'm doubtful that it makes any difference between here and there. But no matter what, the disparity is large this year. It is what it is.

We did beat Annandale.  Two spotter reports of <5" there.

Despite any petty bitching about snow totals, I have to say that it is awesome out there.  Something about the cold, the wind, and the night that really add something to the effect.

"Final" (pending that last band) Total: 5.4"  Only picked up 0.1-0.2 in the last hour.  Down to some pixie dust.

I'm changing my final to 5.25".  I have a wooden table with slats that isn't the best measuring surface because of the slats, but in this storm, since it was sleety and wet initially it has an unswept uniform 5.1".  I swept another surface at 2pm which had 3.1" measured in multiple spots, and the combined total is 5.4-5.5", but there are some issues with uniformity.  I have some 5.5/5.6" and some 5.2/5.3"(I got at least that). Too much spread for a small area.  I'd rather go with the 5.1" and tack on .1" for the fact that it undermeasures, compaction,  and that I didn't sweep.  This is close the lower range of my swept combined total.  Thanks for reading ;)

I'm changing my final to 5.25".  I have a wooden table with slats that isn't the best measuring surface because of the slats, but in this storm, since it was sleety and wet initially it has an unswept uniform 5.1".  I swept another surface at 2pm which had 3.1" measured in multiple spots, and the combined total is 5.4-5.5", but there are some issues with uniformity.  I have some 5.5/5.6" and some 5.2/5.3"(I got at least that). Too much spread for a small area.  I'd rather go with the 5.1" and tack on .1" for the fact that it undermeasures, compaction,  and that I didn't sweep.  This is close the lower range of my swept combined total.  Thanks for reading ;)

I didn't clear.  I don't know if it really would have mattered.  The early stuff was heavy and the late stuff was light.  After hearing the rest of the totals I went around the yard looking for more snow, but none was found.  Despite the wind, it was pretty even.

This measurement is a joke. Trained spotter my @**

1 NW FALLS CHURCH - TRAINED SPOTTER

Date: 03/05/2015

Time: 630 PM

Storm Total Snowfall: 8.7

p

Mine was 6.3 that I sent in to LWX... and most measurements around here agree with me... i have no idea how the french that "spotter" got that much snow

There was localized bands all over today

Falls Church is 2 miles in area and the smallest county in the United States(really an independent city but whatever). I find it extremely hard to believe that somebody reported 8.7" when nobody else reported anything near to that.

We did beat Annandale. Two spotter reports of <5" there.

Despite any petty bitching about snow totals, I have to say that it is awesome out there. Something about the cold, the wind, and the night that really add something to the effect.

It is quite serene. But I'm still a little annoyed. :lol:

And I'd be shocked if there isn't a delay and telework tomorrow. I normally go in when there's a delay, but having a bit of a cold/sinus infection, I'll take advantage of the telework option tomorrow (assuming we have it).

I didn't clear.  I don't know if it really would have mattered.  The early stuff was heavy and the late stuff was light.  After hearing the rest of the totals I went around the yard looking for more snow, but none was found.  Despite the wind, it was pretty even.

I never clear, but  I was having a lot of trouble with uniformity with this storm, and I didn't want to rely on a table with gaps in it, which I never use for most storms because it undermeasures, sometimes horribly because the snow falls through.  It turns out clearing didn't actually help me with accuracy, because I still wasn't getting uniform totals with the post 2pm total.  The table was measuring about 0.2 - 0.3 less than my other 2pm measurements, but I hate going with a bigger total unless I am confident.  I could probably justify 5.5", but I'd rather go with the uniform total and tack on 0.1 - 0.2 so it jibes with the bottom end  of my combined total range, and to compensate for it likely measuring too low.  I don't really care about compaction.  That is something we live with.  I almost never tack on for compaction. You measure what you measure.

Archived