Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Storm Obs/Nowcasting

nj2va

My hood https://twitter.com/islivingston/status/573668702132039680

Sadly they are quick to clear the complexes around here.

Around here civic pride reigns to an almost disturbing extent. We were walking back from dinner and every sidewalk was clear, median to lawn. You could walk three abreast and barely get any snow on one's Uggs; everyone seems to have morphed into Jebman when it comes to shoveling. Wisconsin Ave., OTOH, is impacted snow.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes....I'm the same way...I am always chasing rates, and this delivered big time..

To be honest, my total was a bit more than I actually wanted.  Too much work.  But to get the rates, you get the accumulation with it.  Of course, like a drug addict, I always keep wanting those rates to continue.  Then, when cleaning it up, I'm cussing a blue streak over how much there is.  But I'll live with the hardship just to see that dark, cloudy, low vis snow.

BTW, the shots out of DC on the Weather Channel looked awesome.

Around here civic pride reigns to an almost disturbing extent. We were walking back from dinner and every sidewalk was clear, median to lawn. You could walk three abreast and barely get any snow on one's Uggs; everyone seems to have morphed into Jebman when it comes to shoveling. Wisconsin Ave., OTOH, is impacted snow.

DC is still pretty crappy at clearing snow but it does seem the neighborhoods are often best. My condo covers most of the block and they are really fast all the time.. Except that they did nothing for the ice storm it seemed. Big Twitter debates about OPM. I figured for sure they will open but was a widespread mod + event and its cold. Still hard to imagine main roads being bad a few hours after sunrise.

The rates with this storm never seemed that impressive to me. The best I did was .9" in an hour. The height of 2/21 and even 1/6 was much heavier.

I thought they were pretty good. I went out into a big open field surrounded by big, thick, dark looking pine trees. I was lucky enough to be there for the best rates. It almost reminded me of 1/25/2000. I've been going to this spot on and off since I was a little kid.

We got about 6-7" in the Veterans Day storm, but did have two nice January snows (one of them was warm in DC). We were close to climo that season.

Edited to add: Many of the suburbs, though, were above climo for 92/93 and 93/94.

Veteran's Day was the complete inverse of how snow usually accumulates in DC, and the fact it happened in early November just makes it more astonding. DCA kicked everyone's a++ in that storm. I seem to recall reading somwhere that Veterans' Day 11.5" was a top 10 storm for the airport for a while. NW DC probably got around 8" or so.

I don't think Boston has ever had a snowstorm in November that exceeded (or approached?) 11.5. I've always thought that the Veterans Day snowstorm was the single most anomalous weather event in DC in recent (and I know it's not recent for a lot of people) times.

Veteran's Day was the complete inverse of how snow usually accumulates in DC, and the fact it happened in early November just makes it more astonding. DCA kicked everyone's a++ in that storm. I seem to recall reading somwhere that Veterans' Day 11.5" was a top 10 storm for the airport for a while. NW DC probably got around 8" or so.

I don't think Boston has ever had a snowstorm in November that exceeded (or approached?) 11.5. I've always thought that the Veterans Day snowstorm was the single most anomalous weather event in DC in recent (and I know it's not recent for a lot of people) times.

It's up there...we actually have an old thread/poll on anomalous/impressive events I think....Jan 18, 1994 is still number one in my mind...2nd coldest day in DC history going back to the 1870's

I thought they were pretty good. I went out into a big open field surrounded by big, thick, dark looking pine trees. I was lucky enough to be there for the best rates. It almost reminded me of 1/25/2000. I've been going to this spot on and off since I was a little kid.

this wasn't a nor'easter or a particularly strong, dynamic low with crazy rates ala 1/11.  it was a moderate snowstorm, through and through.  good way to cap the winter (if that's the last one), but i don't think i'd call it a major storm.  what sold me on this storm was the fact that it accumulated on all surfaces and happened during the daytime.  2nd legit daytime snowfall of the season (edit: actually 3rd for me when i include the clipper).  that's a tough feat in this area due to the fact that we are entirely capable of going an entire winter without 1 significant snowstorm.

lol, add an exclamation point to that one!

he was here this morning? i never turned twc on. rick adams was covering when i got there.. had to google him heh. i of course asked for cantore so he didn't seem too interested in chatting long. ;)

It's up there...we actually have an old thread/poll on anomalous/impressive events I think....Jan 18, 1994 is still number one in my mind...2nd coldest day in DC history going back to the 1870's

Another one you could throw in there was Sep 24 2001, the supercell that hit College Park/Laurel with an F3. (Nontropical, of course.) If that storm had cycled earlier what hit Maryland could have gone smack through the middle of DC. It would have been pretty ugly. I wonder what kind of emotional impact that would have around here, given 9/11 and the anthrax mailings.

This is O/T though. Delete if warranted.

Snow is still like crack.. you get some and you want more! It is addicting. This was excellent! The rates were awesome and Sun Angle meant little to me when all I saw was a wall of white outside! Beautiful full moon on snow pack tonight too!

Moon is beautiful. The evergreens in the yard are casting moonlight shadows.

Another one you could throw in there was Sep 24 2001, the supercell that hit College Park/Laurel with an F3. (Nontropical, of course.) If that storm had cycled earlier what hit Maryland could have gone smack through the middle of DC. It would have been pretty ugly. I wonder what kind of emotional impact that would have around here, given 9/11 and the anthrax mailings.

My sig. :D

Good thing to think about.  Dec 1989 comes to mind..  As to a day-gotta think.

For me personally this was single most impactful weather event, College Park Tornado. I've got pictures of a house I was selling where limbs punctured into the house and one stopped about 6" from the refrigerator, like a giant spear.  As a child I lived on OC during great March Storm of 1962 and the unrelenting wind plus the flooding waters did something to me.

Snow is still like crack.. you get some and you want more! It is addicting. This was excellent! The rates were awesome and Sun Angle meant little to me when all I saw was a wall of white outside! Beautiful full moon on snow pack tonight too!

Just came in from an epic Jebwalk. Dead calm, moon shining bright, fresh snow on all the trees, crisp cold.

I love the sound it makes when you walk on packed fresh snow. I don't know how someone could hate snow.

I assume the highs that day were 31-33? What kind of departures is that for early November?

For me personally this was single most impactful weather event, College Park Tornado. I've got pictures of a house I was selling where limbs punctured into the house and one stopped about 6" from the refrigerator, like a giant spear.  As a child I lived on OC during great March Storm of 1962 and the unrelenting wind plus the flooding waters did something to me.

The only time I can recall seeing a flanking line with a supercell. (At least around here.) As the storm passed to my east, I had inflow winds here in upper NW about 40 MPH blowing to the E-ESE. Remember it better than most 4-8" snowstorms. That thing meant business.

Geez, another O/T post by me. Sorry. I guess we're all ready for severe season after today.

Archived