• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5th Storm Obs/Nowcasting

nj2va

LOL, someone hijacked my location or NWS Blacksburg made an error on the snow reports, says I sent in a 6.0 at 4:33 pm......nope, last I sent in was 3.0 at 1:03 before heading in to work. Not saying that is not right, 'cuz it poured for about 2 hours after that, just wasn't me. :whistle:  

Well....it is the first. My neighbor emailed it in right as the snow was stopping and told them they lived across the street from me. And I measured 5.5-6.0 it several places when i got home at 11, so I'll go with it. Man is it beautiful out there, skies have cleared and the moonlight is really doing a number with the fresh snow. Plus the trees are loaded, looks like a Christmas card.

Snow didn't really start sticking good until 11 am and over a little after 4 pm, 5 hours for 6 inches snow. Inch/hour+ rates.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm had some insane rates here. Most of what fell occurred between noon and 4 pm in the banding that set up (well predicted by the RAP and HRRR). I was driving home in 2" per hour rates, and with a bit of wind it was whiteout conditions at times. Pretty wild and not sure I have driven in any worse conditions.

They just sent a plow down The Hill Of Doom in Arlington VA, and two cars trailed along after it.

I don't think the plow was using any chemicals, what with DCA being now 16F (BWI and IAD are now 10/11F).

Such a wonderful icy layer now revealed on the street... :axe: 

I told him to do that.  Gave him $1 for every pass

LOL. He gonna make anymore money today? :whistle:

Ended day with 1.07 liquid, 0.30 fell in am when it was a rain/sleet mix, when the change to snow happened at 9:30 I emptied the gauge and another 0.77 fell. Sleet mixed in with the snow a couple times in am before complete pounding started at 11 am. 6 inches of snow on 0.77 liquid.....7.8-1 SR

LOL. He gonna make anymore money today? :whistle:

Ended day with 1.07 liquid, 0.30 fell in am when it was a rain/sleet mix, when the change to snow happened at 9:30 I emptied the gauge and another 0.77 fell. Sleet mixed in with the snow a couple times in am before complete pounding started at 11 am. 6 inches of snow on 0.77 liquid.....7.8-1 SR

Ended up with 6 inches of snow here as well. Lots of compaction. Not sure what the total qpf was, but I imagine it is similar to your total.

For posterity:

SXUS71 KLWX 061344
RERIAD

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
845 AM EST FRI MAR 6 2015

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT WASHINGTON DULLES DC...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 9 DEGREES WAS SET AT WASHINGTON DULLES
DC YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 15 SET IN 1978.

SXUS71 KLWX 061353 CCA
RERIAD

RECORD EVENT REPORT
852 AM EST FRI MAR 6 2015

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT WASHINGTON DULLES DC TODAY...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 9 DEGREES WAS SET AT WASHINGTON DULLES
DC TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 15 SET IN 1978.

$

SXUS71 KLWX 061357 RRA
RERBWI

RECORD EVENT REPORT
857 AM EST FRI MAR 06 2015

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT BALTIMORE MD TODAY...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 10 DEGREES WAS SET AT BALTIMORE MD
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 13 SET IN 1873 AND 1901.

$

Around here civic pride reigns to an almost disturbing extent. We were walking back from dinner and every sidewalk was clear, median to lawn. You could walk three abreast and barely get any snow on one's Uggs; everyone seems to have morphed into Jebman when it comes to shoveling. Wisconsin Ave., OTOH, is impacted snow.

Looks like Washingtonians could teach Bostonians a thing or two about how to shovel snow lol

When you shovel snow, Classic Jebman Standards are the best to go by. I expect to see that in DC if there is snow on the ground.

The plows around here are out of control. They left my neighbor a four foot high berm right across her driveway entrance. I spent three hours this morning digging snow. Plow got me again while I slept. I came out the house and could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the fresh 3 foot berm of hard frozen two foot snow boulders. I said You gotta be kiddin me! I just shoveled this last night! Well, I chipped thru that too. I got some snow piles higher than the Alps next to my driveway lol

That snow is BEAUTIFUL. But you know what I like best about this storm? The ice. That sleet got on the road and it FROZE. This morning I came outside and breathed in a deep satisfying breath of cold pure fresh Arctic air at 11 degrees. The road was plowed but there was a solid inch deep ice layer on it. I happily slid back and forth on it! I could hardly believe I had an entire ice rink all to myself! That was some sweet ice! It is THICK and it is SLIPPERY!!!! Man I ran and slid for at least 20 feet! In a burst of winter joy I did my Michael Jackson dance on the ice lol! I also got to spend an hour chipping hardened sleet off of my car windows. I also got treated to some of the sweetest music I have ever heard: The sound of tires spinning on sleet ice on the road. I could not help but grin from ear to ear! The driver was tryin to get up a hill covered with that sweet sleet ice, and sure enough, she was panicking! You could hear that beautiful melody of her tires spinning on that thick slippery ice! Finally she managed to make it up the hill.

There is nothing better in this life, than a road all covered in thick slippery ice. I love ice even more than I like snow. I love to hear those tires spin as people desperately try to gain traction or try to go up a hill.

This was one of the best snowstorms ever!

Looks like Washingtonians could teach Bostonians a thing or two about how to shovel snow lol

When you shovel snow, Classic Jebman Standards are the best to go by. I expect to see that in DC if there is snow on the ground.

I know you've got standards in terms of shoveling, that's for sure!!  Would bet that you consider the use of a snow blower to be an aberration against nature! :lmao:

Coming from Ohio, I've had my share of digging out from a lot of storms and a lot of snow.  Growing up, I was the one who had to do all that (and rake the leaves in the fall!), and we had a pretty long driveway.  As soon as I went to college, my parents got a snow blower...go figure!!

The plows around here are out of control. They left my neighbor a four foot high berm right across her driveway entrance. I spent three hours this morning digging snow. Plow got me again while I slept. I came out the house and could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the fresh 3 foot berm of hard frozen two foot snow boulders. I said You gotta be kiddin me! I just shoveled this last night! Well, I chipped thru that too. I got some snow piles higher than the Alps next to my driveway lol

That snow is BEAUTIFUL. But you know what I like best about this storm? The ice. That sleet got on the road and it FROZE. This morning I came outside and breathed in a deep satisfying breath of cold pure fresh Arctic air at 11 degrees. The road was plowed but there was a solid inch deep ice layer on it. I happily slid back and forth on it! I could hardly believe I had an entire ice rink all to myself! That was some sweet ice! It is THICK and it is SLIPPERY!!!! Man I ran and slid for at least 20 feet! In a burst of winter joy I did my Michael Jackson dance on the ice lol! I also got to spend an hour chipping hardened sleet off of my car windows. I also got treated to some of the sweetest music I have ever heard: The sound of tires spinning on sleet ice on the road. I could not help but grin from ear to ear! The driver was tryin to get up a hill covered with that sweet sleet ice, and sure enough, she was panicking! You could hear that beautiful melody of her tires spinning on that thick slippery ice! Finally she managed to make it up the hill.

There is nothing better in this life, than a road all covered in thick slippery ice. I love ice even more than I like snow. I love to hear those tires spin as people desperately try to gain traction or try to go up a hill.

:clap:

That was a cool write up! It was quite a sight last night and this AM for sure.

Archived