joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arrived from Hampton Roads a little under an hour ago.  Drove through freezing rain all the way, with a bit of sleet added in between Richmond and Fredericksburg.  Roads were wet and the only slowdowns were to gaze at the occasional car that had spun out.  The rain was occasionally heavy south of Fredericksburg and combined with the road spray made for some reduced visibilities.  The front of my car and mirrors are coated with a good layer of ice.  But I can't complain, because I made it back here safely in about 3 hours.

Just measured the ice at 3 points I could get to without falling flat on my face:

0.1" on vegetation

0.2 to 0.25+" on deck and other larger objects. Hard to tell for sure. Likely higher totals because sleet melded with the ice on these surfaces.

Also, I see a lot dripping off from the rate of rainfall. My tipping bucket has now measured 0.18" rain, but no clue how accurate it is and whether there is an ice coating on the buckets themselves.

Temperature is still 29.5F and the sun angle has dropped to the point I probably won't warm any more from radiative heating. I wonder if I will break 30 before the storm ends.

27.3F in Clarksburg. Looks like between 0.1" and 0.2" on the trees and the pines are starting to sag. Icicles are approaching 5".

Edited to add: winds have gone completely calm for the last 40 minutes. I thought the anemometer had frozen but went out and looked. It's still spinning freely. Temp looks to be dropping as well (down a full degree from the high today to 26.9F) now that the declination of the sun is low.

post-109-0-29202900-1425242421_thumb.jpg

It's pretty legit here at this point. Roads still ok but sidewalks are close to impassable if they aren't salted. Places that don't warm might see considerable disimprovement as the sun sets at least in less traveled spots.

Archived